• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MEAN GREAN alternator. ! anyone have it in stock

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
my alternator is dead = my jeep DD is dead
i want a mean grean
does anyone have these in stock? ok 4wd wants 2weeks at least AHHH !
qaudratech doesnt have them.
anyone with any experience with these alternators? they worth the money?

thanks
keith (nothins going right) herring

Silverstreak01 said:
my alternator is dead = my jeep DD is dead
i want a mean grean
does anyone have these in stock? ok 4wd wants 2weeks at least AHHH !
qaudratech doesnt have them.
anyone with any experience with these alternators? they worth the money?

thanks
keith (nothins going right) herring
See if you can have yours rebuilt someplace locally. The cost should be less tehn the mean green and it is very likely that the result will be a better alternator (provided the shop doing the job is good). Also while they are rebuilding it, they will be able to make it have a lot higher output.

Big Dawgz informed me that he had a Mean Green but it was no better than any other alt. I would strongly suggest NOT going to auto Zone for an alt. If you cant get the boshe...go somewhere like NAPA, or Advanced auto. In my experience with auto zones alts, they are crap. I would rather pay more with no lifetime gaurantee, than to have to replace my auto zone alt once a year.

Mabey its just my bad luck with AZ, but 2 AZ alts in 6 months is more than a coquicidence.

Brian

Also, if took out your rubber splash guard below your engine, you may want to think about putting one back in. I heard that this prolongs the life of alts as well.

I don't know where you can get one, but I just put mine in a few months ago and boy was it not too fun. I have a 97 XJ and had to machine the cast aluminum mount so the bigger Mean Green alternator would fit. I also had to take a few millimeters off the metal bracket holding onto the alternator. I have a few pics if you want to see them.

Yeah put the splash guard back down there if you took it out. It keeps a lot of stuff out of the engine compartment. I've had my whole vehicle covered in a good inch of mud and the underside slatherd the only thing I had in my engine compartment was where some water had splashed through the sides of the splash guard. The factory front skid also helps out in this area.

I installed a mean green alt,(for future heavy electrical loads) it wasnt cheap, plus it was a pia to fit, the alternator bracket has to be trimmed a to fit the curve of the alternator, however, it does what they say it will. if you are on a budget get yours rebuilt, or another stock alternator, there are some other alternators that can be used , I recall an article on pbb about a gm truck alternator for some reason, but the cheapest way is to get a stock one or rebuild yours I think, unless you go to a junkyard.The other thing is, it doesnt matter what you put in there because it is mounted down low, if you dunk it in mud water , etc, eventually that will kill it. one long term project is to work out a mount up high, by the ac compressor, (I havent used up that space yet ;-)) hth a little bit at least

i bought that rebuilt bosch 120amp it should be in today..(109 with a 50$ core charge) i tried to get the old one out last night. removed the battery , battery tray, the top bolt that goes all the way through the alternator . and 2 bottom bolts that are on that black bracket.

Question 1: i cant get the lower wire (the plug one) out of the alternator. the top one with the nut was easy. the other one i have been squeezing in it jiggling it . and wont come out. any secretes with that thing?
Quesion 2: If i take off that black bracket comletely off will it come out easyer? .. i really dont think itwill with out it?

also i put a new optima yellow top in there : should i charge it up or just jump start it and take it for a good ride and it should charge up fine itself?

thanks
keith (things are a little better) herring
haha

YOu might have better luck getting at it from underneath, I replaced mine while I was replacing a water pump ps pump and radiator so I had everything out making it easier to get at, I dont know that removing the battery will help that much.

i can get at it good with no battery. . but i think im going to have to pull off that black bracket on the bottom right side of the alternator if your looking at the front of the jeep...

If the bosch is the same size as the stock you could put it in from the top. When I put my MB alternator in, it was wider and easier to fit it in from the bottom. take the black bracket off makes it easier for install.

The alternators are harder to get on and off on the HOs than they are on the earlier 4.0s. I found I had to remove both brackets to get mine out. IIRC, there were five bolts holding it in. It's easiest to access from underneath.
I haven't done one, but hear that the older units drop right out with only 2 or 3 bolts.

yea il take off that bottom bracket that will probably help . i just seams when i try to push it down to get it to clear the top one it gets stuck.. any secrets for getting that bottom wire conection out?

Don't get a Mean Green...just go get a high amp alt from a 95-97 Dodge Van, Dakota, etc and swap it out. Jeep had a 90 or 130 amp and Dodge got all the 130's but it was the same basket size, shape, etc.

Go to http://www.vicic.com.tw/ap-001-Denso.htm and look around till you find your alternator. Or if you know the part number for your alt, type it in and find it, then find a matching one with a higher amp and then go to your local junk yard.

Other resources here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172316

Best,

Chris

this will allow more space to pull out. Then all you have to do is work it through the hoses....the hoses wont break, but it will take some force to move them.

Back