• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight clunk while turning wheel.

Nology

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee with an RE 3.5/JKS track bar yadda yadday.. While turning the wheel back and forth quickly doing around 2-3 mph something underneath clunks. The track bar has been threadlocked and tightened down and my adjuster sleeves were also tightened up. I've got 31" MTRs and after only 5k they are cupping pretty bad. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Mine does this too, im totally stock still. I really think I over greased my zerks and popped some seals. anyone think this would be possible?

C85D4x4 said:
Maybe the steering box can be worn out or
the steering box bracket could be broken

The steering box might be loose but not to common unless you wheel the hell out of it. also the xj does not have a steering box bracket it bolts right to the uniframe

True your right, not that i see that he only has a 99

I was just saying the steering box b/c i have the same prob. on my 93 and found out its my steering box is worn out and its starting to leak
The clunking sound is coming from it and i can feel it we someone terns it back and forth

C85D4x4 said:
True your right, not that i see that he only has a 99

I was just saying the steering box b/c i have the same prob. on my 93 and found out its my steering box is worn out and its starting to leak
The clunking sound is coming from it and i can feel it we someone terns it back and forth

you feel a popping right? well that is still usually the trackbar binding when turning then leting loose in a small jerk. which moves the axle a tad and is transmitted through the steering componants

Yes i know this, and thats what i was thinking

But i checked everything, anything that moves i checked
And came to find out it was the steering box

When i put my hand on the steering box, i can feel the gears slapping(clunking)
together when someone terns the steering wheel back and forth slightly!

And this happening before the pitman arm moves!

But Yes its prob the
trackbar for the other guy

i know that mine had this problem until i replaced that aluminum spacer in between the steering box and the uni frame.. it had a crack in it and one of the bolts had room to jiggle

replaced it with a home fab c-rock type inner plate

I have RE's adj track bar w/drop and it's clunks and pops like a motha....from what i've been told it's pretty common w/ the super joints RE uses w/ it's track bars. anyone else heard that? It's gets me worried sometimes cause it pops like crazy. But I think all it good.

mmmkay325 said:
I have RE's adj track bar w/drop and it's clunks and pops like a motha....from what i've been told it's pretty common w/ the super joints RE uses w/ it's track bars. anyone else heard that? It's gets me worried sometimes cause it pops like crazy. But I think all it good.

if it pops something is loose. and does not have to be noticeable by hand loose either.

I have a 2001 XJ w/RE 5.5 lift and adj. track bar w/drop bracket. I had the same clunking problem (drove me insane!) found out the bottom bolts on the drop bracket were just a little loose. I tightened them and the noise went away. You could also weld it to solve the problem.

Also could be disconnects on the swaybar.

Also could be the shock mounts.

Also, check where the drag link and tie rod meet to see if it is binding on the lower swaybar disconnect MOUNT on passengers side.

Hope it helps.
-Nate

um..... the gear lash is adjustable... I think the procedure is turn the lash adjuster 1/2 turn at a time till the clunk disappears and 3/4 turn after that.

C85D4x4 said:
Yes i know this, and thats what i was thinking

But i checked everything, anything that moves i checked
And came to find out it was the steering box

When i put my hand on the steering box, i can feel the gears slapping(clunking)
together when someone terns the steering wheel back and forth slightly!

And this happening before the pitman arm moves!

But Yes its prob the
trackbar for the other guy

Its not really a poping sound. The lift is about 4 months old.. The trackbar did come loose every now and then but some red threadlocker solved that prob. I work for a moog dist. so I basically bought a whole front end today just to have. I'm bringing it to the shop for a mechanics opinion and for an alignment. NY streets are no friend to a lifted jeep. The tires cupping are whats bothering me. I've got MTRs with about 5-6k of use on them. some of the locals said I should be rotating them ever 5k because they wear shitty.. but something has to be wrong in the front end to cause cupping after 5k.

Back