• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Stock Guages

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just pondering over here because, well, I don't have anything better to do. But, I was just wondering if it would be possible to replace the stock guage cluster with a custom setup with guages from Autometer. Would the electronics(i.e. voltages and ohm's) be compatable with Autometer guages, or would I have to replace all the senders and sensors. Also, is the vehicles milage stored in the ECU or in the guage cluster? I know I can build the new cluster easily, but I don't want to waste the time or money doing it if I won't be able to make it work.

Osprey413 said:
I'm just pondering over here because, well, I don't have anything better to do. But, I was just wondering if it would be possible to replace the stock guage cluster with a custom setup with guages from Autometer. Would the electronics(i.e. voltages and ohm's) be compatable with Autometer guages, or would I have to replace all the senders and sensors. Also, is the vehicles milage stored in the ECU or in the guage cluster? I know I can build the new cluster easily, but I don't want to waste the time or money doing it if I won't be able to make it work.

mileage is stored in the cluster on my 92 - the later models might be different...

here was my guage swap - not custom, but a decent write up if you are looking to replace idiot lights...

http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

Osprey413 said:

Anything will work if you through enough money at it. as far as wher the milage is stored that depends on the year. If it's a 96- then it's in the gauge, If it's a 97+ model i don't think it can be done (please correct me if im wrong.)as these use a signal that is sent from the ecu to a small cpu in the gauge head the cpu then works the gauges.

If it is a 96- then then you should bae able to replace the gauges and wire them to the original wires as most are a direct hookup from sender to gauge.
This is what i know about each gauge individually.

Fuel guage;
Im not sure what the XJ uses for resistance but im sure it is one of the common 3 so finding a gauge to replace this should be no problem. It is not used by the ecu.

Temp;
Depending on the year this can be very easy, of your XJ has 2 sending units simply replace the one at the back of the head wit hthe proper one for you aftermarket gauge. if you have only one sender (in the t-stat housing) simply add another sender for the new gauge.

Tach;
is used by the ECU but most aftermarket gauges will interpret the signal that is provided into the gauge cluster. So it should wire right in.

Speedo;
SEE TACH

Voltmeter;
very straight forward wire using existing wires or rewire however you want, exp. i am going to rewire mine to a switch that will enable me to check voltages at different points in the system.

Oil Pressure, Just replace the sender and your good to go. Not used by the ECU.

The fun part though is trying to mount them and keep a semi-stock apperance. Good Luck

Dingo

Back