• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutzerts installs

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I hope I spelled them right... in any case, how do you put them in right? Someone mentioned at one time that there is a tool for them... is there some sort of tool like a rivet tool?

Kejtar

What I have always done is....

Nutsert-lock washer-oversize nut-flat washer-bolt

The lockwasher engages the nutsert to the oversized nut, hold the big nut and turn the bolt, the bolt will turn though the nut, slide against the flat washer, the nutsert will hold from spinning against the big nut and crimp down.

HTH

Rev

I have an image, but no way to post it now. What you are gonna do is use the big nut and lock washer to keep the nutsert from spinning, the bolt will pass thru the big nut and tighten against it withthe flat washer between them, this will pull the nusert against the lock washer and cause it to expand.

Rev

ok... I think I see :) Question though... how do you get that big nut and washer in through that hold that's just hair or two smallers then the nutsert itself in the first place...

Kejtar

Your kidding right? The lock washer, big nut, flat washer, and bolt thread into the nutsert form the top, the side that will still be accesable after install.

Rev

Sort of....and by tightening the stud and holding the nutsert, you cause it to compress. If you want to shoot me you e-mail I can send you a drawing that explains it better.

Rev

Sort of...your holding the top...and pulling the bottom toward the top.

Rev

Maybe we should rename this thread: Kejter and Rev try to confuse each other...and suceed!!

Depending on what size 'certs you want to use, J.C. Whitney sells a tool for the purpose that is, as you suspected, similar to a rivet tool. There are two types of these critters -- the ones used for putting a thread behind sheet metal are sometimes (always?) referred to as "riv-nuts" because they are set exactly like pop rivets.

The other kind is for adding a thread in thicker material, where the insert doesn't have enough length to expand behind the material. This is the one that should be referred to as a "thread-sert" or "nut-sert" because it expends within the base material to hold with a friction fit (i.e. an insert)

Riv-Nut and Nut-sert are brand names. I have a Blue Point "Nut-sert" set whose tool operates more or less like the home-made nut-and-washer setup Rev. Den is trying to describe - that is, it works by rotating a screw in the insert rather than pulling up by leverage as a rivet tool does. Each of the several sizes has a screw-and-nut set that fits into the tool handle. I also have a riv-nut tool that works like a riveter, but it is size-specific, and less versatile.

I also have a box of small Riv-Nuts (branded) , and
as far as I can see there is no functional difference between what is branded as a "nut-sert" and a "riv-nut," and the same tool works for either. Either one will expand wherever it can - i.e. if it's in sheet metal it will expand behind it, and if it's in thick metal it will expand within it.

The Nut-sert set, by the way, came originally from Snap-On..

The jeep dealers have them, the ones for doing the certs for the cross member and frame ones are big SOB's compared to the one I have that I use to put certs in wood and stuff, that one is not much bigger than a pop rivet tool.

Back