• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still nothing but the headlights.

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I've still got nothing but the headlights when I try to turn the lights on on my 88 MJ.

I've replaced the headlight switch, all fuses, all bulbs.

The fuses were good, I replaced for good measure. Some bulbs good, some not.

I have no power to any of the parking lights, when tested with a light.

I have power at fuses.

Thoughts????

Wiring diagrams?

Having looked into it a little bit more...

Seems there was an alarm in my truck at some point. Seems the alarm install was pretty bad. Also, the alarm brain uninstall was hack too.

So, I'm chasing wires. Anyone got diagrams?

Thanks.

Ok, I believe I've removed the alarm, and reconnected all the wires which were interupted by it.

However, I have this misc. green wire coming from under the console, which then leads under the truck. I haven't gone truck diving to figure it out yet. It was attached to nothing under the dash.
93540930.jpg

This is a connector that was just hanging out under the dash. Wire colors are: Orange w/ White trace, Black, Grey
93541007.jpg

Here is one that was hanging out under the dash, with the ground tapped for the alarm, apparently. Wire colors are: Light Blue w/ Yellow Trace and Black
93541020.jpg

This is one I happened to find under the hood, not connected to anything. The wire colors are: White w/ Black trace, Purple (Violet) w/ White trace. The image is rotated, as I am a lazy bastard.
93540990.jpg

I'll look into the green one further. But do any of the rest of these go anywhere? As far as I can see, there is nothing to plug them into. However, I can't see around corners and through plastic. SO?

Thanks.

OK...

Now we are in the twilight zone.

Attempting one issue at a time, I go for the parking lights. Using the diagram Jon sent me, I discover that the parking light output is a dark blue wire.

Using first my MAC test light with the new switch, I test the DK blue. Nothing, indicating a ground, in fact.

Hmm, odd... so I go fishing. The input red wire is positive, the output for the headlights is positive at the correct time, the interior dome light on is positive at the correct time.

And, so, I swap the old switch back in. Exact same thing.

Very odd. Then, I take the new switch on the bench, and test for resistance between terminals. I test between the terminal that the blue wire goes to, and the one the red (input) goes to. Nothing. Infinate.

So, I try it with the old switch. Same thing.

SO, being perplexed at this point, I go for the ultra high tech test: Jump the red and dk blue wires with a 12 Gauge jumper wire at the switch. Voila! Parking lights.

Now, do I have in fact a new bad switch and an old bad switch on my hands, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Don't have FSM for 87/88, but....my 91 FSM says,

Yes shorting the RED to D_BLU/RED will give you parking lights.

The real power feed for the parking/turn lights is the ORA/BLK. It is fed off of the RED by a fuse(#15 ?) in the fuse panel.

Confirm this with your FSM.

Trace the ORA/BLK from the switch back to the fuse panel, check fuse, check feed for fuse.

Yeah, looks like you are on to something there.

The diagrams jon sent show a red/blue feeding the parking lights. The red/blue has no power to it though. Actually when I pull the switch, the wire goes from no power to a ground.

The fuse is good, both sides, at all times with a test light.

Now, I guess chase red/blue wire till I die? Or, cut it an jump it off the red? Eenie meenie minie moe.

Eenie Meenie....you've got the right idea.

(disclaimer: I don't use the little testers--I use a meter.)

The ground that you are 'seeing' is is not real a ground -- it's actually a path through the lights to ground. I would speculate that's normal)

Ah, that makes sense.

I use both. Cause the light works better for me to get it into things. And, I've found that sometimes the digital meter doesn't tell the whole story.

Damn. now, what to do, what to do.

Well, narrowed it down in short order. To jury rig, or not, that is the question.

Anyone jury rig theirs before? Anyone notice any problems?

the third one is to the Crank Pos. Sensor. Does the truck start? Because if this is not pluged in it wont? The sensor should be at 1 o'clock on the bell housing looking from the front. If it isnt there then you def. need one.

It starts and runs, but poorly.

You are saying the one I soldered back together, which is inside the truck, is for the CPS? How did it get in the truck?

Ah, gotcha.

I dunno.

I thought that the crank sensor was hooked up. I thought it was a two prong weatherpack connector. I'll look again once I get home, though.

Back