• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 3" with a '94

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

So I know when you go more than 3.5" most people tend to need to add other things such ase SYE, DS, etc.

Just wondering if there will be any hidden things that I will most likly need to replace. I have a '94 Cherokee Country Edition.

Thanks,
Drew

search and you will find out that just about every XJ differs, no matter what the year....just put it on and go from there
trevor

When I put my RE 3.5" lift on my 1995 xj the only "extra" or hidden thing I needed to drive it was a t-case drop kit ($25.00). I don't think that rusty's comes with brakelines so you will need to relocate the front and get a longer one for the back (may want a longer one for the fronts as well).

You can PM me if you have further questions.

clay

when i installed my 3.5" inch lift from RE on my 94 xj i did not have to do anything. all i did was a yj slip yoke and ss brake lines and that was just b/c i wanted too. no vibes no nothing.

I installed the same lift on my 98, needed nothing other than what it came with. I threw in a tcase drop at the same time to insure I wouldnt need it, didnt want to have to wait for it to come in if i ended up with vibes.

I have this on my '95 sport. However, i learned the hard way the importance of a cheap t-case drop. After the driveshaft came out i decided to go with an sye kit just in case a bigger lift came down the road

with the 3 inch lift you should be ok with just the t-case drop. some people are running 4.5 with just the t-case drop with no problems, but some have vibes with the drop... all XJ's are different tho.. GOOD LUCK

I have started to put rusty's 3" on over the past few days. Got the rear done and I do notice some small vibes. BUt, I'm not sure whats gonna happen when I get the front up there too. I will let you knopw

hoytinak said:
search and you will find out that just about every XJ differs, no matter what the year....just put it on and go from there
trevor

AAAAAAAAAAA MEN!

Well, I installed Rusty's 3in kit on my 94 Sport about 5 years ago. Not sure if anything has changed with the kit, but I never dropped the T-case or installed an SYE. It came with a rear brakeline relocator, but I didn't like it so I ordered a braided stainless line from RE. It's my daily driver and I never removed the sway bars so I've never tried any extreme ariticulation but so far the front factory lines haven't given me any problems. I initially had a bad "death wobble" but traced it to a improperly sized front spacer. Took them out and it disappeared. I also developed a "growl" from the rear driveshaft that only occured when I let off the gas at highway speeds. Didn't seem to be binding, never could trace it down but never gave me a problem either. Had to replace the rear yoke and u-joint last fall after ramping off a snow covered curb I didn't see so it lasted about 5 years making that noise. But they're right when they say every Jeep is different, you just never know til you're done wrenching and go for a test drive. Good luck with your project.

98XJSport said:
I installed the same lift on my 98, needed nothing other than what it came with. I threw in a tcase drop at the same time to insure I wouldnt need it, didnt want to have to wait for it to come in if i ended up with vibes.

THats the situation I am in. I put on a rusty's 3" and now I am wainting for my t-case drop kit in the mial...to much vibe and afraid to drive it that way.

cjwalkeriii said:
I have started to put rusty's 3" on over the past few days. Got the rear done and I do notice some small vibes. BUt, I'm not sure whats gonna happen when I get the front up there too. I will let you knopw
Same here, I heard a little vibe when I finished the rear and it got more pronouced when it was all finished (not that lifting the front changes anything) now I am waintg for the t-case drop from Rusty's...do yoursel;f a favor and order it now!

Nobody mentioned an adjustable track bar? My axle was shifted really bad when I did the rusty 3" on my 99. I did not like the idea of rilling the stock one. There did not seem to be enough material to keep it safe.

sayit said:
Nobody mentioned an adjustable track bar? My axle was shifted really bad when I did the rusty 3" on my 99. I did not like the idea of rilling the stock one. There did not seem to be enough material to keep it safe.

With my 3" lift I didn't have to touch the track bar......now that also goes with saying that I havent driven it enought to say that no adjustment is needed....we will see!

sayit said:

Oops, I forgot to mention that I too had to get the RE adjustable trackbar after installing my RE 3.5 lift. The front axle was obviously shifted after the lift but the adjustable trackbar set it right.

clay

theschwarz1 said:
What was it that caused your axle to shift? I don't know if mine did or not...I havent gotten it to speed yet to find out...I have only gone down my road and back...

I could visually see that the front axle was shifted towards the drivers side. when you raise an xj but don't lengthen the trackbar, the axle has to shift towards the drivers side in order for you to reconnect the trackbar after the lift. Think of a triangle, with your axle being the base and a right angle going from the axle to the body at the upper trackbar bolt. Then your trackbar becomes the final side of the triangle. If you increase the distance from the axle to the body (lifting the vehicle) the line formed by the trackbar also has to be lengthened OR you will increase the angle and force the axle to shift in order for the trackbar to remain connected at both the body and the axle. There are lots of threads here that talk about this. If you do a seach you may even find some pictures that illustrate what I am talking about. You can measure the distance that each of your front wheels is inset from you body. If it is roughly equal you're OK but if not you will need an adjustable trackbar.

clay

Cal, THanks for the clear explanation. It does make sense. I was just wondering though that If I didn't undo the track bar at all, would it still be off? It seems that from what you said it would....well I will measure when I get home from work. My Rusty's t-case drop kit is going to be arriving on FRIDAY! WOOHOO! Then I can finally drive my XJ !!!

Back