• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confirming info found is search

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I did a search on this in the forum and found info but I just want to confirm it before I screw something up beyond repair.
I'm doing a 3" lift on a 90 XJ. I've got the front done. The rear leafs, I got the drivers side rear leaf bolt loose except there is a receiver hitch that mounts to the frame etc and the bolt is too long to get out without removing the complete hitch assembly. I would have to drop the gas tank to get at two torx bolts that go into the rear frame above the gas tank.
If I understand what I found in the forum search, I can unbolt the upper shackle bolt and drop the rear part of the leaf that way. I've started on the drivers side and after a lot of grunt power it seems to be coming loose but I don't want to take it all the way out until I know for sure I'm not screwing up.

Sorry for this question that I know has been asked before but I just want to make sure I'm reading this stuff right.

thanks,

go ahead, you wont screw anything up as long as you dont break the bolt which is unlikely with one that big. use oil, and when you put it back be sure to re-torque it properly. and keep an eye on it for the first couple of thousand miles. re-torque it every hundred miles or so for the first 500 just to be safe

you may actually have to compress the spring a bit to get the new spring pack to fit I attached the shackle first, pulled the axle forward and jacked the axle up to press the spring into the "frame" once it flexes to the right length use a pry bar to pry the front of the spring down to match the hole, and stab the front bolt.

Thanks for the input, now have the drivers side out on the ground.:laugh3: Tough job for one person but it's coming along. Thanks again!!

Back