• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sounds to me like the CPS/CKS.

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a problem that keeps coming back and I am trying to resolve it.

Here are the symptoms:

#1 very slow cold starts. Sometimes it won't start at all. But on the 2nd attempt it fires up just fine and every attempt after that, until its cold again, it fires fine.

#2 sometimes when driving (on the gas hard seems to do it most) it will start to run extremely rough. I am getting a code (from autozone) that says its the ignition coil. BUT the problem, after i turn it off and on alot and rev the engine, the problem goes away. The light still stays on, but when i disconnect the battery and reconnect, the light goes away.

its a '00 AW4 4.0

So far, I have replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor. I know sometimes "CPS" gets confused between the two. Does it sound likes its CRANKshaft position sensor (CKS???)

-Aaron

Do you live on the coast ? if so start cleaning your grounds, high salt air seems to corrode them alot faster, maybe a cheap anti-corrosion finish on the factory connectors. When you say slow start do you mean it turns over really slow ?

RichP said:
Do you live on the coast ? if so start cleaning your grounds, high salt air seems to corrode them alot faster, maybe a cheap anti-corrosion finish on the factory connectors. When you say slow start do you mean it turns over really slow ?

The jeep was previously owned in NY. I live in the mountains of NC.

No it turns over fine, but it will turn over for a long time before it starts.

When it's cold turn the key to the 'on' NOT 'start', count to 20 one one thousand, two one thousand...... then turn it to start. If it fires right up it is the drainback valve for the fuel system allowing the pressure to bleed down overnite... the pump takes about 10-15 seconds to repressurize the system.
Option is new fuel pump or part of the pump, not sure if that part is sold seperately or there is a BMW valve you can install, there are several postings about that including part number..

RichP said:
When it's cold turn the key to the 'on' NOT 'start', count to 20 one one thousand, two one thousand...... then turn it to start. If it fires right up it is the drainback valve for the fuel system allowing the pressure to bleed down overnite... the pump takes about 10-15 seconds to repressurize the system.
Option is new fuel pump or part of the pump, not sure if that part is sold seperately or there is a BMW valve you can install, there are several postings about that including part number..

That wasnt the problem. I usually let it wait 7-10 sec for the fuel pump to prime before i try to crank. I got an engine code for the Camshaft position sensor...but I JUST replaced that the other day.

Back