• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone every try a SurgeGuard?

Beached Bones

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up this thing called a SurgeGuard made by Calterm. It is supposed to

"stops voltage spikes by sending exces voltage to ground.... Prevents expensive vehicle electrical repairs."

It is supposed (to paraphrase) to protect the PCM, instument panel, ABS control module and other electronics when you are jump starting a vehicle, working on or welding near, or simply starting a vehicle can create an electrical spike that could damage the electronics.

Has anyone had experience with this little gizmo? Is it worthwhile, useless or snake oil?

I blew 0.42$ CAN on it to try it out! Man I hope I didn't waste my money....

Prevents expensive vehicle electrical repairs--NO

jump starting a vehicle -- MAYBE
working on -- NO
welding near -- NO / near ??
starting a vehicle -- INSIGNIFICANT... the auto engineers have already considered this, or else vehicles would be dying as of result of starting them.

At 42 cents, you may not have wasted your money, but you might have wasted your time.

I usually end up jump starting a lot of people over a year... and occasionally i might need one too, So I thought why not? If it helps all the better. If not... maybe I'll get the satisfaction of watching the little gizmo burn up.

Oh yeah... there'a also a bling factor! it has a little LED that blinks! Just what my dirty old XJ needed...

Back