• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOW TO: RF keyless entry upgrade for IR keyless jeeps

jblaze5779

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I’ve gotten a few pm’s from a few people asking about how I did my RF conversion from the sucky IR keyless entry. I figured I’d do a little how to so people could figure out how to do this. I ordered a kit from jcwhitney(the cheapest one I could find) and the directions were very easy to follow. Also I think the place that I put it was pretty original. All in all this took probably about 30 min to install and I think it’s well worth it. I’ve had this thing for awhile now so this isn’t a complete step by step walkthrough. I knwo this isn't the most expensive on with the highest range, but hey it cost me 40 bucks and 30 minutes. Also my jeep is a '91 laredo 4x4.

The kit that I ordered was this one the “valiant keyless entry with 2 key fobs” part number ZX382164Y . I would put a url in but for some reason it always goes to the microsoft site. So jsut go to www.jcwhitney.com and put in that number in the search box.

I took it out of its box and the first thing that I noticed was that it had a lot of wires coming off of its harness. You will only need to use about 5 of these wires.

OK, the easiest place that I though I could put this would be where else, the place the old circuit board was, in that little bubble thingy hanging from the roof.

dscn05983qz.jpg

I unscrewed the old circuit board and disconnected it the pigtail from the wiring harness of the jeep. I then cut the pigtail off of the old board and figured it would be the best for tapping into the system since obviously all the wires that I needed for the keyless entry would be there.

Here is a pic of the whole thing finished. I took the new board out of its box so it would fit above the headliner.

dscn06015rt.jpg

I connected the wires that I needed according tothe instructions. They were:

board - car
green-orange
black-black
yellow-brown
red&white - red

dscn06046ih.jpg

After all that I got everything taped up and prepared it to be put back into the headliner. In this pic you can see the connector. I thought this would be handy incase I ever have to take it out for some reason. Also I would bugger up any of the wires that are permantly attached to the jeep. Also to save space I cut off all the extra wires from the keless harness that I didn't need. I think you can use these extra wires to add relays to make the lights blink and stuff and hell I didn't need any of that. If you want those options they will be explained more in the directions.

dscn06022az.jpg

I packed everything into the headliner all nice and neatlike.

dscn05997qc.jpg

And then you just put the cover back on: If you look close enough you can see the antena hanging from the headliner. It hangs out about 4 inches and isn't ever really very noticable.

dscn05983qz.jpg

I hope that helps out a lot of people with their projects. I know that when i was looking into this I couldn't find a whole lot to help me out. Email or PM with any other questions you might have. ~Justin

Last edited:
jblaze-

thanks for posting this! i ended up finally figuring out how to wire up that damn alarm, but like you said, this is a great alternative for people who just want the convenience of a working keyless entry!

alan

Back