• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another noobie question: Reverse cut/Standard cut

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
could someone give me a quick explination of the two (reverse cut and standard cut) and the difference? Does it effect the direction that your driveshaft must be turning to keep the axles turning the wheels the correct direction? I figure it has something to do with the way teeth in the ring and pinion are cut?... but thats more of a guess then anything. Thanks in advance.

-Tim

94XJ4x4 said:
could someone give me a quick explination of the two (reverse cut and standard cut) and the difference? Does it effect the direction that your driveshaft must be turning to keep the axles turning the wheels the correct direction? I figure it has something to do with the way teeth in the ring and pinion are cut?... but thats more of a guess then anything. Thanks in advance.

-Tim

You are correct in the way the teeth and ring pinion are cut. But it's done for the differences between a high pinion axle (reverse cut) and standard or low pinion (standard cut). There are arguable differences in strength between the two and the application. High pinions are generally for front axles, where strength is gained because of the rotation of the axle, and vice versa for the rear. This is just a generalization though, I'm sure someone can explain it in further detail. Or you can read the 3rd paragraph at this link: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm Although it refers to a D44, it applys to all axles.

Last edited:
Back