• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dolly Tow XJ

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
I might be acquiring an 89 xj and was wondering what the best way to tow it would be. I have searched here and jeepforum and it seems like a very uncertain subject. It is 4 wheel drive and I would guess has a 242 transfer case but I will check as soon as I can. Does the rear driveshaft have to come out or not?

I am supposed to keep the steering wheel unlocked, the transfer case in nuetral and the transmission in first since it is a manual, correct? This is the info that I gained from the other treads.

I will be towing it only about 20 miles, with a a 2500HD silverado so the tow vehicle is not a problem.

If I do have to pull the driveshaft do I just unbolt the straps and bungie the shaft out of the way?

Thanks
katarn

For 20 miles you don't need to remove the driveshaft. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in first if a 5-speed is correct.

Unlock steering if flat towing, but on a dolly it doesn't matter if the steering wheel is locked or unlocked. The front tires are strapped down and can't turn anyway.

{EDIT} Wait -- on that year does putting the transfer case in neutral engage the front axle? That would not work well on a dolly! Perhaps the safe approach is to remove the drive shaft.

Back