• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with AC system

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
Well iv decided that i better get going on fixing my ac before it gets to hot. Iv got a 93 xj 4.0. The AC did work when i bought it. The system is currently empty as i believe the condesner was leaking as there was some oil coming out of it. So i am guessing i need a new ac condenser at the least. Iv also heard people replacing the dyier? i had the ac condenser off while i rebuilt the engine.
Could someone please clarify and describe to me what is required to convert to a R134a, aswell as the tools that are needed. Iv read some people have used those kits while others have done entirly differnt approches.

thanks.

In a nutshell, you need to replace the leaky parts, draw a vac on the system with a vacum pump and let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure the vac holds. The reason for the new dryer is the silica pack inside the dryer. The vac will draw any moisure out but not any dirty oil from the R12 if that what was in there. There is also a flushing that can be done but all I have been talking about pretty much requires some professional charging/draining tools that connect to the system and do all this. Also keep in mind that if you did not plug all the lines while you had it apart you are going to have alot of moisture in there if not downright puddled water...
Personally I would buy the parts, install them and let a shop do the rest. I'd also blow the evaporator out with some air, about 30lbs pressure, evap is the one that is in the heater box. Then I would connect the tower and hook everything back up. Or just install it but leave the caps on the condensor and tower and let the shop hook it all back up...

how much would shop charge to do that work you mentioned? Id like to do most of it myself as i dont trust shops really. i dought there could be that much waterin it the system, it was kept in a garage in southern ca.

Jeepster4wd said:
Well iv decided that i better get going on fixing my ac before it gets to hot. Iv got a 93 xj 4.0. The AC did work when i bought it. The system is currently empty as i believe the condesner was leaking as there was some oil coming out of it. So i am guessing i need a new ac condenser at the least. Iv also heard people replacing the dyier? i had the ac condenser off while i rebuilt the engine.
Could someone please clarify and describe to me what is required to convert to a R134a, aswell as the tools that are needed. Iv read some people have used those kits while others have done entirly differnt approches.

thanks.

All 93 model cars and newer sold in the US are supposed to be r-134. What kind of fittings are on your xj? if they're a shrader (sp?) valve like a tire then it's r12 but if it's a quick disconnect then it's r134. Some have reported they're 93's have r12 ??? In theroy the dryer should be replaced every time the system is opeaned. Find a shop that will work with you on replacing parts yourself then haveing them test and charge it.

JoBo

As long as you are replacing the condensor try and find a larger one that the stock one you had - R134 is not that great in town driving. The larger condensor gives the refrigerant more area to do its job and keeps the interior cooler in traffic.

The drier needs to be changed everytime the system is opened (though it's seldom done) as stated due to the "drying & filtering" material in there; it's important.

Yes, even garaged in Calif. you could draw a lot of moisture into the system, it needs to be on a vac pump at least 1 hour minimum if the system has been open; half hour if you replaced all the parts.

While a good deep vac usually tells you if you have leaks, I would use dry nitrogen and charge the system up to 250#'s and check it also. You could have an o-ring which will seal under a vac but not pressure.

ONLY USE COMPRESSED AIR ON AN OPEN SYSTEM!!! air of any kind has moisture, even the air which has a filter on it. Compressed air systems never get all the moisture out of the system.

Not trying to be a jerk here but I would let a shop do all the work because if you do something and then the system doesn't cool or has leaks or some other problem you are out all that repair bill usually. If you buy the parts and take them to them and then they install them you have recourse if it goes south in 30, 60, 90 days. (Just my .02).

It is or can be expensive but if done right worth it in the middle of August!

JC95

oh really 93's came with r134? i havn't actually checked it yet i always thought they had r12. Now that i think about it i bet there is moisture in the system. as it was open for quite awhile. On another note i was checking out ebay and found this stuff called ENVIRO-SAFE. Anyone heard of it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4543035435&category=34197

wondering if it was a good alternative to r134a.

Do you happen to know, how much ac shops normally charge for evacuating the moisture and refilling it with refrigerent?

I *think* you are looking at a $100-125 or so. Depends on how much work THEY have to do that you don't or that you do wrong [there is always that] putting the hoses back together...Figure the R134 is going to run you about $40 by itself.

oh thats sounds very reasonable. iv heard people saying there were charged like 400-800 bucks or something rediculous like that. i can install the all the parts myself that should save some cash.

Sams club sells the R134 in bulk, container is about the size of a gas grill propane tank, thats around $40, I forget how many pounds that is but it will do a bunch of a/c systems, add in a 3 gauge manifold for around $100 w/hoses and all you really need after that is a method to evacuate the system, vac pump with a gauge of some sort and valve setup of some sort to control the vac you draw.

If your going to buy the kit yourself act fast because they're taking it off the market because people are usng to make drugs but you should be able to get it cheaper than usual. I find it funny when a cracked out looking teenager can by r-134a without being 18 but then you have to be 18 to buy spray paint and fuel injector cleaner at wal-mart

Back