• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstops in springs

whitexj21

NAXJA Forum User
My cherokee is a 1989 4x4 4.0, 6 inch lift in front(skyjacker coils no spacers) d30f, d35r, adjustable uca, and lca. Ive been reading a lot of posts and can't seem to find an answer that has probably been givin a buncha times before but my front bumpstops are almost hitting the front springs and I have them in the ballpark adjustment spec for a 6 inch lift(LCA-17in UCA-15.5in)and it seems like I would have to adjust all arms like another 2 inches or so to get them somewhat decent. But it sure took a lot of the shimmy/DW out of the front end!!(Thanks to the NAXJA FORUMS :)
So is this just how it is unless you get LA's or what, any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Keep the rubber side DOWN

I had the same problem...the solution was to remove the springs/spacers/bumps to gain access to the bump towers. I then took a 4" grinder w/cut-off and chopped them off. Welded them back on at the proper angle so that they were tilted back and dont hit the springs anymore.

It suked, but now the bumps are perfect.

I think the real fix is proper control arms.

Slip Kid said:
I think the real fix is proper control arms.

you can have long control arms so that the bumps dont hit at static height, but then under compression they hit and the tires hit the front of the fenders. In my case, i have long arms, so this isn't a problem. It can also depend on what your springs are doing. Some are "S" shaped, some are "C" shaped, and some are straight.

This was the last thing i will do to my suspension. I have it set up at the height i want, with the susp i want and this wont change. IMHO< Why compromise the suspension and position of the axle so that you can make the stock bumps work when you can just change them and be done. If you cant change them, then i could see changing arms/springs so that they dont hit. it depends what situation you're in.

I've got adjustable arms and also had this problem.. I took a burr and ground the front lip down on the bumpstop, then took a hammer and a chisel and folded over the lip... it don't catch no more!

Back