• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow wiring question

jblaze5779

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I scavaged a factory 2in hitch(7-pin) from a 98 jeep cherokee at the boneyard. I am planning on installing it on my 91 tomorrow.

The hitch was pulled by the guys that worked there and I had to go out in the yard and look for the nutstrips. I went to the jeep that the hitch came off of and sure enought there were two nutstrips left in there so I got those. Also the rest of the wiring harness was still intact on the jeep(they jsut cut it off when revoving the hitch). So I grabbed the nutstrips and was in the process of getting the rest of the harness when I thought that it might just be tied into the main harness and it would be too much trouble.

I did some more reasearch and saw that they were jsut a T - connector into the main harness, so that sounds easy enough to get. I'm thinking that if I just splice the cut wires back together I might have a nice goo cheap harness.

My question is that since this a factory towing package on the '98 and also since the hitch has a round 7-pin connect.... does it have an electric brake somewhere in the rear cargo panel along with a harness that would work in my 91? If so I want to make sure that I get it. Please let me know.

Actually the answer is Yes on the Brake wire for power (fuse protected in the oem fusebox (look at user manual for location of the fuse)

The blue wire is located driver side left corner usually behind the plastic kick panel. It should be marked (my 98-2001's are same way) "Brake".

This wire is to power a BRAKE UNIT, it is not a power brake unit in itself.

The T connector is a more than just a split on the Jeeps it contains the vehicle-> trailer converter as well, (draw tite sells them for ~20$) so patching the wires in will result in other electrical problems in the long run, so best find the T connector or use a Uhaul universal unit that connects to the left rear tailight.

Back