• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control Diagrams?

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have the diagrams and descriptions from, say, the FSM for the cruise control system on a 1990 XJ? Im tossing around the idea of adding cruise to mine and dont wat to drag the installation out because of forgeting all the needed componets. TIA

Mike

I am installing a cruise control kit on my 1996 XJ. I have the OEM instructions and full kit that I am about halfway finished installing. When I am done with them I could probably take some pics of the instructions or of the actual installation itself if you want. The underhood stuff was a piece of cake, I just have to dismantle the air bag (gulp) and we should be money.

Jamie

IIRC the cruise on a 90 vs. a 96 are different. Im not exactly sure about how theyre different tho. From what i can tell on the 87-90 ya need the speed sensor on the speedo cable, the control module, the vacuum servo, and misc vac. tubes. Thats all i can think of off hand, and thats why i need a diagram.:D

Mike

Anybody know where the wires in the black casing coming from the steering column plug into on an 89? Mine has had the end cut off and for the life of me, I can't find the other end of it. Thanks...

You can get a universal kit from Summit Racing for like $89.00.
I think audiovox makes it, and it hooks up to the VSS or you can do the old magnet/sensor thing with it as well. Just might be easier than messing with the air bag.

How does that air bag come out anyway?

Dan

Adding Cruise control on the '95(?) and up XJs with the airbag is pretty much a plug 'n' play opperation. Pulling the airbag isn't that big of a deal if you go slow and follow the instructions. On the older models the cruise control is on the multi-function wand, so I suspect that it will not be as easy. For newer XJs I would just find a factory kit. On the older ones, aftermarket may be more reasonable.

Aftermarket cruise control

I added a cruise control to my '98 - its easy. All the wires you need to hook up are in the wiring bundle to the computer on the left fender. My kit was about 8 yrs old so I had to contact the company that made it - Rostra Precision- for the wiring instructions. They are on the web. Called them and they sent the instructions and the correct cable connector for the Cherokee for free. Originally purchased from JC Whitney- still a good source. If you mount the vacuum cable unit in the space behind the computer and above the left fender well the cable can be installed in a large loop to keep down stress. Took most of the day to install- but now that I know where the wires run it would take less time.

I talked about my cruise control experience on another thread but since you guys seem to know some about them I thought I would tell my story here too. Maybe someone can help. I bought a MOPAR cruise control kit from an EBAY seller advertised for 1997 - 2001 XJ (Mine is 2000). Because I was afraid of the airbag, I had it installed by the local shop that I always use. All parts fit perfectly and plugged up easily. However, the cruise dash light won't come on and the cruise will not operate. My mechanic says everything checks out going into the ECU but nothing comes out to the servo. Scanner indicate cruise control is "off". He suggested changing the ECU at nearly $500. I'm already into this by almost $300 and still no working cruise. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Swampjam said:
I talked about my cruise control experience on another thread but since you guys seem to know some about them I thought I would tell my story here too. Maybe someone can help. I bought a MOPAR cruise control kit from an EBAY seller advertised for 1997 - 2001 XJ (Mine is 2000). Because I was afraid of the airbag, I had it installed by the local shop that I always use. All parts fit perfectly and plugged up easily. However, the cruise dash light won't come on and the cruise will not operate. My mechanic says everything checks out going into the ECU but nothing comes out to the servo. Scanner indicate cruise control is "off". He suggested changing the ECU at nearly $500. I'm already into this by almost $300 and still no working cruise. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

read the follow up to your last post, that should give you an idea whats wrong with the criuse

Thanks for your thoughts about the cruise problem. Gosh! I hope I didn't commit some type of forum faux paux. I thought it would be appropriate to post the same or similar question in different forums in the hope of reaching a wider audience and of getting a broader and more comprehensive range of thoughts and ideas.

Back