• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need new torque wrench... which one/ where to buy?

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I need a 1/2 and.or 3/8" torque wrench. The one I have now does both, but it is old and was cheap when i bought it. Since I have to replace a timing chain (V8 DOHC/bank) and the head in my XJ I decided its about time for a new one. Any suggestions? I would like one that will handle 3/8 and 1/2 if possible.

-Chris

Since it's not for a commercial/industrial application just go to Sears and get a craftsman. I prefer the 'click' type to a swing arm or dial.

Tom

Talyn said:
I need a 1/2 and.or 3/8" torque wrench. The one I have now does both, but it is old and was cheap when i bought it. Since I have to replace a timing chain (V8 DOHC/bank) and the head in my XJ I decided its about time for a new one. Any suggestions? I would like one that will handle 3/8 and 1/2 if possible.

-Chris
I've one that's Husky and two Pittsburg ones. I originally got the 1/2" pittsburg one from Harbor Freight to have one to carry on the trails, but I must say that I was more then surprised with it. It's got a good feel to it and I alternate between using that and the husky one (whatever is easier to find :D). Later on I got a 1/4" pittsburg one as well for some finer work.

I'd recommend either, while keeping in mind that you can get the pittsburg ones for really cheap while both the craftsman and husky ones will set you back a pretty penny.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

I have the 3/8" and 1/2" click-type craftsman, had them about five years and the cheap plastic handles where the torque settings are adjusted are starting to wear out. I do a lot of wrenching, so for most folks maybe they would last longer, but I can't endorse them at this point.

I don't know how much money you are looking to spend, but when I go to replace mine I hope to get something like this..

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/PRE-M3R250F.html

Whatever you choose, buy American!

I'd recommend not skimping when purchasing an important tool like a torque wrench. I've always used/bought either Mac, Snap-On, or Matco....torque wrenches. The reason I buy these and pay quite a bit more, is for the fact that I can go to the tool truck and they can calibrate the torque wrench or send it in to be calibrated. If you use this wrench alot I'd do this about once every 6-8 months. It really depends on how often you use it....and what you use it for.

If you torque alot of highly critical components....like...main bearings, rod bearings, head bolts, lug nuts on expensive wheels and other expensive drivetrain-related items, I think it's worth the extra money to get a torque wrench that's certified accurate and can be checked, re-calibrated and re-certified periodically.

If it's for other components that aren't as expensive or critical like bracket bolts, or other fasteners...then maybe the cheaper torque wrenches would be the way to go for that usage. I have torque wrenches in inch/lbs and in ft/lbs configurations. I also like to have them in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives as well, because sometimes you just can't fit certain drives in certain areas.
Aron

you can always take it back to sears when it needs to be calibrated and say it's broke. i tend to go through ratchets pretty quick at work and i just take them to sears and they replace them no problem.

53guy said:
you can always take it back to sears when it needs to be calibrated and say it's broke. i tend to go through ratchets pretty quick at work and i just take them to sears and they replace them no problem.
Unless things have changed this might not work. AFAIK torque wrenches have only 90 day warranty.

53guy said:

How do you know its out of calibration until your crap starts falling orr or failing?

I don't think you'll find a good one that's both 3/8" and 1/2".

Most of the 1/2" torque wrenches only read to 150 ft-lbs. Consider that the axle nut on the front axle requires 175 ft-lbs, and if you do a rear pinion seal the pinion nut should be cranked to about 250 ft-lbs. IMHO it makes more sense to buy ONE wrench that will read to 250 or 300 ft-lbs. You can then pick up an inexpensive one in 3/8" for the low torque applications.

Personal preference, for doing head bolts I prefer the beam type, no calibration involved cept for your eyeballs and as all the bolts are vertical it's easy and fast to use. For trail riding and tightning lug nuts I carry a $40 big assed 1/2" one that I got at the auto parts store a few years ago, click type no name brand. With the click types you need to remember to back it off to -0- lbs when you are not using it. As for calibration I just check it with the tool the tooltruck carries, I usually check it at 50ft/lbs and 100ft/lbs. I do have a couple of Sears types, 3/8" click types, one for ft/lbs and one for inch/lbs. They are about 14 or so years old and in their own plastic cases.

I've got a Craftsman and won't buy another one. Too much plastic. The plastic locking collar comes unlocked too easily. Took it back to Sears, they don't calibrate them, can't repair them, and I've had it longer than 90 days, so no help from Sears. Next time I'll go all metal and skip the plastic junk.

Robert

Kejtar said:
Unless things have changed this might not work. AFAIK torque wrenches have only 90 day warranty.

My vote would be Husky, unless your going to use it a LOT - like every day. Then I'd say Snap-on or Mac. I just broke my Husky - it was going on 5 years. I simply brought it back to Home Depot and they gave me another one. Says right on the package Guaranteed FOREVER! It also goes from 25 or 50 ft lbs to 250 ft lbs.

XJWheelie said:
I've got a Craftsman and won't buy another one. Too much plastic. The plastic locking collar comes unlocked too easily. Took it back to Sears, they don't calibrate them, can't repair them, and I've had it longer than 90 days, so no help from Sears. Next time I'll go all metal and skip the plastic junk.

Robert

Thats the reason I don't want to just go down to Sears and get one. Too much plastic.

XJ4playin,
I'll take a look at a Husty. I like that exchange policy you mentioned.

I wonder if the SK torque wrenches are any good ? thetoolwarehouse sells them for pretty cheap.. an alternitive to Sears and Husky's.

dan89XJ said:
I wonder if the SK torque wrenches are any good ? thetoolwarehouse sells them for pretty cheap.. an alternitive to Sears and Husky's.
They seemed to be going for high on ebay. I am looking at KD, Craftsman Pro (Sears carries these?) and Husky now.

-Chris

Back