• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditched The Rear Sway Bar Tonight Now I have a ?

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
Tonight I ditched the rear swaybar as It supposedly is not needed and It several times crunched into my fender well. My uestion is this. After the pullout I seem to have gained about an 1" maybe little more height in the rear. Mesured from center axle to bottom of flare. Before 17" now 18"+. Is this possible or am I seeing things and maybe going nuts? Maybe it needs to settle in?

I just did the same a few weeks ago, didn't see any lift persay. Did ride alot nicer!!

i think you are going nuts...

you know what is the best trick to teach a jeep?
roll over!

lol.. j/k... i have removed my rear sway bar long time ago, 4 months when i got my lift 4" Add a leaf plus cheap skyjacker shocks... ... never noticed a thing on road...no change... ..but on the other hand... off road... vooala!!!! flexes amazingly...:p

Look Ma!!!.....No Jack!!!!! heheeh.....
poligon.jpg

poligon2.jpg

lol... btw .... when i tried to close my doors... the jeep started tilting..... :p so i had to keep them open... the reason i had to take my wheel off.. is that ..... the stupid fuc(ing AAL came out of place... and scraped 3/16 into my brand new BFG ATs on the inside!!!!!!!! we used a big axe to put it in place:) it worked:) not the one in the pic btw:p...
oh.. and if you get your XJ in a position like that, dont try to open the rear hatch:p .............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heheheheh

Last edited:
cherogeek said:
..........so, there are no ill effects at all from removing the rear sway bar?
Up country models came with no rear swaybar so I've never had one. In any case I've towed a camping trailer and a trailer full of bricks once and never had any problems.

are you sure? thats weird... :( never heard of a 4x4 suv with no swaybar from factory in rear....

Purple said:
are you sure? thats weird... :( never heard of a 4x4 suv with no swaybar from factory in rear....
Come on Purple, its common knowledge that the UpCountry had no rear swaybar and a higher arched leaf pack in the rear. You're going to give us Canadians a bad name! :laugh3:

Yea, Up-Country XJ's have no rear sway bars.

lol... i'll shutup now:p

Purple said:
lol... i'll shutup now:p

ahhh another canadian... i understand now :D

yeah- i had no swaybar from the factory either...

To the thread starter:
Your springs may have just re-set themselves and havent completely re-settled yet - due to inter leaf pack friction

might check it after 3 or 4 days of driving - ...

Renegade Jpr said:
Yea, Up-Country XJ's have no rear sway bars.

Except mine because it's an export model. I have all the usual Upcountry goodies (engine/TC/gas tank skids, front/rear tow hooks, HD gas charged shocks, 1" higher suspension, Traclok LSD, 28mm front antisway bar) AND I have a rear antisway bar. Go figure.

When you removed the rear sway bar did you remove the bracket from the leaf spring bracket plate (by removing the outer two U-bolt nuts) or did you just remove the bolt from the lower sway bar pinion?

When you did remove (which ever component) the sway bar did the leaf springs immediately snap downward and an immediately lift change was noticed (I'm assuming the XJ was on jack stands or a jack supporting the frame not the rear axel)? If it did then the shackle bolts may need to be loosened so that you can adjust the springs to the proper height desired then re-tightened to the proper torque. Who ever initially installed the leafs (if other than factory) may have torqued down the bolts fully with the jeep in the air and then bolted on the sway bar after they lowered it back onto the wheels. Your suppused to torque the bolts down after the Jeep is back on the ground at the height you want it to ride at.

Just a thought.

MattAlpha said:
When you removed the rear sway bar did you remove the bracket from the leaf spring bracket plate (by removing the outer two U-bolt nuts) or did you just remove the bolt from the lower sway bar pinion?

When you did remove (which ever component) the sway bar did the leaf springs immediately snap downward and an immediately lift change was noticed (I'm assuming the XJ was on jack stands or a jack supporting the frame not the rear axel)? If it did then the shackle bolts may need to be loosened so that you can adjust the springs to the proper height desired then re-tightened to the proper torque. Who ever initially installed the leafs (if other than factory) may have torqued down the bolts fully with the jeep in the air and then bolted on the sway bar after they lowered it back onto the wheels. Your suppused to torque the bolts down after the Jeep is back on the ground at the height you want it to ride at.

Just a thought.

SPOBI

You cannot adjust the ride height by tightening the shackle bolt loaded vs. unloaded.

Dirk Pitt said:
SPOBI

You cannot adjust the ride height by tightening the shackle bolt loaded vs. unloaded.
Yes and no. If the shackle and leaf spring bolts get tightented with the rear end in the air, it takes the leaf pack longer to settle so in a way it "adjsuts" the ride height for a period of time, but once the leafs get flexed, things should go to where they're meant to go.

Kejtar said:
Yes and no. If the shackle and leaf spring bolts get tightented with the rear end in the air, it takes the leaf pack longer to settle so in a way it "adjsuts" the ride height for a period of time, but once the leafs get flexed, things should go to where they're meant to go.

Exactly, which is why I would not call it a ride height adjustment.

Back