• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ power window wiring woes

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
Guys:

I have something puzzeling me... My 88 xj's power windows have a short in them... when ever the window switches are attached, the violet wire (the one that supplies power to the switches grounds out... if i discoonect the switches it no longer grounds out... to me this is telling me something is grounding out inside the switch assembly.. i am too exahuseted to look at any more wiriing diagrams anyone out there know or who can study their diagram 4 me and see if my prognosis is wrong b4 i try to tarck down a new window switch??
THanx!!

When you say it's grounding out, you know that because the fuse is blowing?

Does this happen even without activating any of the switches?
If yes, then it is probably the switch -- Unless you've messed with the original wiring.

Which switch? Driver or Passenger?

Have you tired unplugging both motors, then connecting the switch?

the fuse is blowing and i used my meter and confirmed it its the drivers switch that the violet wire enters b4 going to the other doors... the inside wiring on it is a hack job so thats why i am wondering if something else could be it besides the switch

Switching the lock switch, to the lock position, cuts the power to the passenger and rear switches. Might help narrow it down to the master switch.
I didn´t think there was a fuse for the power windows? Always thought it was an auto reset circuit breaker.

I'm having a similar problem on my 88 with the power locks! Is this a problem for this year?

Back