• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You would think this thing has a carb on it....

Hickey

NAXJA Forum User
My 1992 XJ 4.0 AW4 with 150K on it has been getting worse. It first started while I was offroad, doing some mild tippy wheelin. It would cough and sputter and die like a carbed engine does, start after alot of cranking and pedal messaging, then it would run fine after a while. At first, it only did this when I went wheelin and as soon as I started flexing over obstacles. I figured I had some junk in my tank and the filter was clogged. New filter made no change. The engine does this most of the time now, and it seems to start a little easier if I pump the pedal. I checked for water in the fuel, but there was none. I can here the fuel pump cycle, how do I test it for pressure?

For fuel pressure testing there's a capped valve on the fuel injection rail. You can hook a tester to that. Standard testers made for the purpose will have the right fitting. If you roll your own, you'll find that the fitting from an R-12 (freon) air conditioning hose will fit it. The correct pressure is thirty-something (sorry, no book at hand), so again if you roll your own a gauge that goes up to 60 or so would be about right.

Update: It turned out to be some hashed wires. A little while back, when I removed my inner fender boots, I used a drill to remove the little plastic retainer plugs. I got a little carried away with the drill and when it went through the fender it hit the wiring harness on the back side of the fuse panel. I looked it over when I did it, but didn't notice any damage. Upon closer examination, I chewed 7 wires up. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Back