• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering/Ball Joint question

bn6339

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all-

I have an interesting question for all of you steering/balljoint experts out there- I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee (175k miles) with the Selectrac D30 front axle (with a RE 3.5” lift), and I recently upgraded the steering linkage to the V-8 ZJ linkage, which works wonderfully. My question here is, I replaced the linkage because of a “popping clunk” the front made whenever I turned the wheels. The clunk still remains, so I am now looking at the ball joints, yet I don’t have the infamous “death wobble” or any other evident play/wear issues as yet…. Is this a “wear warning,” an inherent issue, or what? Opinions/recommendations…..y’all have been most helpful before-

Thank you very much,
Bret S Gray
1990 XJ Laredo

I had the same problem on my last xj. I traced it to where the track bar mounts to the frame. I have also read of a couple of other people having the same problem and traced it to the same place but I don't think that anyone has found a real fix for it. Don't think it caused any real problems? I'm sure someone else know a little more about it though.
Ben

bn6339: Hey man...I have the same problem right now. I have a 4.5" RE lift with a new track bar. Once it was popping and I just tightened down on the frame bolt side of the track bar. It went away for a few weeks. Now its back. I think a solution to this is to install a HD track bar mount. I have heard it has success. If you take a good look at the stock frame mount, it looks pretty shotty. Mine flexes all over the place while turning and makes the new track bar bolt pop and twist. Good luck...let us know if you nail it.

Justin

Problem solved!!

Hello again-

Thanks for all of your prompt replies- those who said the trackbar were correct- luckily, I got the larger RE unit, but the frame mounting bracket worked a bit loose a few months after we did my lift- I also discovered the steering gear pitman shaft was a little loose, so I tightened the centering screw a little bit as well....I will road test the beast tomorrow morning and see if the steering is too tight...meanwhile, thanks again for everyone's help!!

Bret S Gray
1990 XJ Laredo

the fix of this problem is easy-loosen the lower bolts on the frame bracket, apply a generous amount of RED LOCKTITE to the threads, and tighten them back- and i mean this-torque the living hell out of them (these bolts are like grade 8 or 10 so they're pretty strong ):) 'prolly this is why they loosen-any bolt will stretch as it is tightened, but the harder the bolt, the tighter it has to be to stretch properly, and "lock" i just don't think that they were all torqued tightly enough on the assembly line.

XJGraham said:
I have a similar problem but only when I am backing up and turnign will it pop. Makes a horrible bang. Interested on how I could fix this.
Could be your lower control arm bushings are shot.

Back