• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are all pre 97 fender flares the same?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Now, I might be on crack, but I was looking at my MJ the other day to see about new flares, and then I happened to notice a 2 door XJ and they looked the same.

Then, today, I saw a 4 door XJ, and those too looked the same.

I thought a portion of the 4 door flares was mounted to the rear door?

As far as the 4 door flares goes, Bushwacker cutouts are the only ones I know of that the rears bolt to the door too. I have Rusty's offroad flares that don't connect to the rear doors.

- Nate.

Thanks, but that's both not a pre 97, and not a stock flare.

Maybe I should have specified?

I mean all stock pre 97 flares.

The rears are all the same, and the 4-door flares do not mount to the door.

In the front, somewhere around 94 or 95 they became just a shade wider toward the forward end. It's almost impossible to see unless you have a 95 or 96 parked beside an older one, like an 88.

BTW -- you probably already know it, but the rear wheelwell on MJs is both higher and wider (longer) than XJs. XJ rear flares won't fit an MJ.

Eagle said:
In the front, somewhere around 94 or 95 they became just a shade wider toward the forward end. It's almost impossible to see unless you have a 95 or 96 parked beside an older one, like an 88.
My early 95 has the front fenders like that. So I'm guessing they did that in mid to late 94. (My Jeep was made in 9/94)

Back