• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!!! rear end noise in my 93

bigjeep6303

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 93 4 dr sport, 4.0L, auto, np231, d30, d35, 4"lift, 4* wedge, 1" tcase drope, 30x9.5x15 bfg at's.
--so here it is, when i hit the gas to take off, and basicly try to light up my tires, i get this thumping noise, coming from the rear. dont know what it is, it was their before i lifted and basicly when it was bone stock. in the winter i was running a trail in the snow, and when i was taking off, tires spinning, it would thump, in either 2wd or 4wd, until i let off the gas. this noise is driving me insane, and i can find any answers. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!
Thanks again Rob

i think i found your noise..:laugh3:
bigjeep6303 said:
i got a d35, --when i hit the gas to take off, and basicly try to light up my tires, i get this thumping noise, coming from the rear.

You check exhaust hitting the rear leaf? You SURE you have a D35 and not a 8.25?? I have a 93 too, a D35 is rare on thet year from what I understand. I get a thumping when I let off the gas, it's the exhaust vibrating on the hangers.

yes i checked and i have a dana, not the crysler. and i made all new brackets for the exhaust when i did the flowmaster. its all tight, and doesnt seam to be hitting any where. any other thoughts???????

You have original upper rear shock mounts? If so,check to see if your shock is broken or one of the bar pins is loose in the bushing. Sounds a lot like bar pin clunk or a broken shock mount too.

I coulda sworn all 91 to 94's had 8.25's. Do you have ABS?? I thought that was the ONLY way you'd have a D35.

shack are brand new, i checked the tag on the rear axle and it is a dana 35, and i dont think i have abs, or if i do it doesnt work. if any one want pics, i will gladly take them! but i know what axle i have in my jeep! as for the noise, i think i figured it out, the rear U bolts were a little bit loose, so retorqued them, and it sound much better...for now!
thanks again for everyones help.

bigjeep6303 said:
yes i checked and i have a dana, not the crysler. and i made all new brackets for the exhaust when i did the flowmaster. its all tight, and doesnt seam to be hitting any where. any other thoughts???????

What kind of thump are you referring to? Does it sound like metal hitting metal? sharp? dull? Is it consistent with driveline or wheel speed when it's noticeable?

FUNKYTEE5

i think i figured it out, the rear U bolts were a little bit loose, so retorqued them, and it sound much better...for now!
thanks again for everyones help.

Back