• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is a snatch block used for?

NHextremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm somewhat new to wheeling and I've seen snatch blocks but don't know what they're for. :dunno:

N8 DAWG said:
I'm somewhat new to wheeling and I've seen snatch blocks but don't know what they're for. :dunno:

ahhaha, my wife was reading over my sholder and yelled "Ouch!" when she read that! hehehehe:laugh3:

Snatch block is a simple tool (Pulley) that multiplys the force applied. When used with winching, the cable is run through the pulley and back to the vehicle. This in effect can double the pulling force applied.
Also used when pulling off center, say 90 degs from the front. Snatch block to a tree and pull someone else that is 90 degs from your truck. As an example.
Should be part of your basic recovery gear load out.

Roll-over said:
ahhaha, my wife was reading over my sholder and yelled "Ouch!" when she read that! hehehehe:laugh3:

Okay I'll bite, Why the ouch?

you could probably look it up but...

essentially a snatch block *doubles* the load of a winch. say your stuck really bad and you need extra power from your winch, if you hook a snatch block to a tree in front of you and run your winch cable/line through the snatch block then back to a recovery point on your frame, you will get extra power/weight from your winch, while only reducing line speed (how fast the cable pull you in) a little bit.

you can also use a snatch block to say pull someone out that you cannot get a direct line with your cable. so if there is a tree you can hook the snatch block to that, run your cable through and it will redirect the angle your pulling from. i hope this makes sense. essentially you can try to picture it in your head as an *L* with your rig (with winch) on top of the "L" the tree at the bottom left, and the other rig at the bottom right, thus pulling the stuck rig toward the tree (or bottom of L).

Roll-over said:
we were joking about bondage last night... i think that might be a factor...

Now That's Funny Right There!

ROFLMAO.

Just to be clear, a snatch block is specifically one that can be opened from the side, so the line can be put on the sheave without threading it through. That's an important property if the line in question has a hook or eye at the end.

Thanks Guys :patriot: I had a funny feeling when I typed the question. NOT THAT FUNNY FEELING! :nono: You answered my question AND made me laugh. For that I thank you. :worship: :D

pcsutton said:
To block a snatch! :lecture:

Wrong. It's for hastily, eagerly, or suddenly grabbing a block. Duh!

:D

Jeeeeeeeeezzzzzz, will this thread ever rest ? :speepin: ?????

No it won't. You haven't been here very long at all, have you?

I always thought it was like a spray on bar fly repellant, that smells bad.

Back