• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i replace a non-disco axle w/ a disco?

wheelin4cheap

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj w/ NP242 and non disco Dana 30 up front. I have a complete disco assembly for an 84 xj that has 4.10's in it and I want to know if it will work under my current setup, and/or if I can make it work. Can I use the shafts out of my non-disco in my disco? Will this work? Please HELP!!

yes, there are a couple of oil seal issues with the full lenght shafts in the disconnect housing.
Why not just pull the gears and put them in the 92 housing? You need to do the rear anyway.

As far as why I don't just swap the gears...I am trying to decide which option is easier and less expensive...that is if I even have an option...and I will be putting 4.10's in my rear 44 as well

You can also just shift the D30 into the engaged position and shim the shift fork with washers to keep it that way. Easy, cheap, and easily reversed if for any reason that axle needs to become a disconnect axle again.

Back