• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch rattles loudly when hitting bumps

btraysxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have removed everything out of the back. I have adjusted the hatch stops. I have stuffed tons of rags in between the plastic and the hatch after I tightened down all of the trim screws. I think the hinges are causing the rattle. It sounds like the hatch isn't closed when I hit bumps. The stealer wants $50 a piece. Any ideas on shimming the old hinges? I already wedged c-clips around the hinge pin but it isn't enough to take out the play.

It's a 2000 and although I wheel it. I fawking hate rattles! :rattle:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Brian T.

P.S. Before you flame me, I did search first. Just didn't find an answer. :lecture:

I think the hinges are adjustable by removing the farthest back interior trim and loosening the bolts that hold hinge to ceiling. In my jeep I ended up wrapping some electrical tape around the latch pin, not a great long term but it worked.

Ya, my '92 is hellarattle. I think that in my case the rubber seal is flattened to the point that there is no load against the hatch so it rattles.
Brett

You might get some relief if you move the location of the latch pin a little. Also make sure that the latch mechanism itself isn't rusted. There's a springy bit in there that helps take up play. And make sure the pin isn't worn. It tends to get a groove in it where the latch engages, and it will never be tight then. You can turn it around to compensate, or replace it, or weld it up.

Yeah, my pin is grooved about 1/8". Never occured to me to turn it around. Were your bolts rusted? Mine look pretty bad.

Thanks for all the replies you guys. I'll try moving the mounting location of the hinges this weekend. I remember a friend I had a long on a trail ride opening the hatch when my rig was crossed up. I told him not to open it so he tried to slam it shut. May have bent something at that time.

Brian T.

Matt, are you talking about the latch handle mechanism? I kept thinking it was the hinges but maybe it is in the handle mechanism. I'll try and open that up as well this weekend to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Brian T.

Matthew Currie said:
You might get some relief if you move the location of the latch pin a little. Also make sure that the latch mechanism itself isn't rusted. There's a springy bit in there that helps take up play. And make sure the pin isn't worn. It tends to get a groove in it where the latch engages, and it will never be tight then. You can turn it around to compensate, or replace it, or weld it up.

cmotsvt said:
I think the hinges are adjustable by removing the farthest back interior trim and loosening the bolts that hold hinge to ceiling. In my jeep I ended up wrapping some electrical tape around the latch pin, not a great long term but it worked.
That's NOT the correct way to adjust the hatch on a later model XJ with the steel hatch.

On those later ones, there are two large rubber bumpers located immediately inboard of the taillight housings on the body. They are adjustable to increase the amount of pressure they place on the hatch when latched.

Assuming the hatch meets the body correctly (the gap between body and hatch perimeter is even and no more than about 5mm), then moving these two rubber bumpers outward will result in increased contact pressure between the bumpers and the hatch, and lessen the rattle.

The bumpers are on threaded shafts, to allow adjustment.

He adjusted the rubber bumpers already. My XJ is an '88 I dont claim to know much about 2000 models.

Thanks Jeff, I did already adjust the rubber bumpers. In fact, I considered buying longer bolts in order to adjust them even further. Hell I even stuffed rags over the bumpers then closed the hatch to see if that would help.

Still appreciate the input. My wife thinks the hatch is open every time we ride in the rig.

Brian

AZ Jeff said:
That's NOT the correct way to adjust the hatch on a later model XJ with the steel hatch.

On those later ones, there are two large rubber bumpers located immediately inboard of the taillight housings on the body. They are adjustable to increase the amount of pressure they place on the hatch when latched.

Assuming the hatch meets the body correctly (the gap between body and hatch perimeter is even and no more than about 5mm), then moving these two rubber bumpers outward will result in increased contact pressure between the bumpers and the hatch, and lessen the rattle.

The bumpers are on threaded shafts, to allow adjustment.

If I am not mistaken, the newer XJ latch also employs a nylon coating on the latch arm. (The striker is plain steel, unlike the older XJ's with the fiberglass hatch.)

Have you investigated to make sure the latch arm still has it's full coating of nylon? Also, is the latch pawl that hold the latch arm shut worn by any chance?

Of course, both of these questions will only be able to be answered by removing the latch mechanism from the hatch, and giving it a thorough visual examination--sorry!

Damn Jeff, really appreciate your replies.

OK... so, I am going to sit in the back while I have someone drive me around in my own rig to figure out if the rattle is coming from the hinges or the latch mechanism. I will disassemble/replace/drink beer as is necessary to resolve/get over the issue.

Thanks,
Brian T.

AZ Jeff said:
If I am not mistaken, the newer XJ latch also employs a nylon coating on the latch arm. (The striker is plain steel, unlike the older XJ's with the fiberglass hatch.)

Have you investigated to make sure the latch arm still has it's full coating of nylon? Also, is the latch pawl that hold the latch arm shut worn by any chance?

Of course, both of these questions will only be able to be answered by removing the latch mechanism from the hatch, and giving it a thorough visual examination--sorry!

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

I to am a rattle baby. I can take all the squeaking of the unibody, but when I'm just driving along a smooth street, and the hatch won't stop rattling, it makes me want to blow my brain out.

About 3 months ago I fixed it with sponges behind the latch mechanism and zip tieing all wires down and duct taping those that couldn't be zip tied. Now, it's back. I couldn't believe it after 3 joyous months of driving.

I'm about to take the sit in the back spin myself. I'll let you know what I find.

damn rattles!!! I'm about 2 steps away from going to the dealer and just telling them to fix it regardless of cost as the XJ is my DD and it's driving me crazy having to listen to it in rush hour.

It wasn't the latch this time thank god.

I caused some damage to the gate I guess last weekend end, when I slammed into a tree. Perhaps I bent something, I don't know.

It was a combination of my tail light, and I guess the hatch. i extended the rubber bump stop, and that seemed to make it go away.

We'll see this week as I live with it I guess.
bobzemuda said:
I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

I to am a rattle baby. I can take all the squeaking of the unibody, but when I'm just driving along a smooth street, and the hatch won't stop rattling, it makes me want to blow my brain out.

About 3 months ago I fixed it with sponges behind the latch mechanism and zip tieing all wires down and duct taping those that couldn't be zip tied. Now, it's back. I couldn't believe it after 3 joyous months of driving.

I'm about to take the sit in the back spin myself. I'll let you know what I find.

damn rattles!!! I'm about 2 steps away from going to the dealer and just telling them to fix it regardless of cost as the XJ is my DD and it's driving me crazy having to listen to it in rush hour.

Back