• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" turned by hand does what...?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
went under my jeep today to grease the sucker etc... when turned the ds (in N) by hand,,,.. driver side rear wheel turns constantly but passenger one turns a littlebit and then it "drops" half an inch... and keeps on turning... is that normal.... ??? or am i looking at a set of new gears?
if it is fuc*ed by your opinion.... would installing a lockright get rid of the problem?-spider gears?

Purple said:
went under my jeep today to grease the sucker etc... when turned the ds (in N) by hand,,,.. driver side rear wheel turns constantly but passenger one turns a littlebit and then it "drops" half an inch... and keeps on turning... is that normal.... ??? or am i looking at a set of new gears?
if it is fuc*ed by your opinion.... would installing a lockright get rid of the problem?-spider gears?
Step one:
Buy a digital camera
Step 2:
remove rear diff cover
step 3:
take pics
step 4:
compare pics to pics of other's diffs and see what yours looks like...
step 5:
post pics
step 6:
STOP FREEKING OUT ABOUT YOUR OPEN DIFERENTIAL FUNCTIONING...

sounds like a bearing is on its way out to me... (creating an increased drag sometimes)

ok, here are the pics... see the arrows? is there supposed to be 1/32 or 1/16 of play on these? i tried turning wheels while under car... and i can see a little movement there... just as if these small gears ... would have some play sitting on that pin...
anyway, do these look normal????? any abnormalities?
gears4.sized.jpg

gears3.jpg

gears2.jpg

gears.jpg

Last edited:
yes... there should be some free play in the spiders or else they would blow up. Just like the ring and pinion, spiders need to have "lash"... From looking at your pics, your gear set looks ok... From what I have read in your first post and see in the pics, everything is normal. Now with that said, do you have any noises or other issues with the rear end??

well, here it is:) i went with teraflex 4" lift... too bad none of the sellers/dealers say that you will be experiencing vibes... i did, extreme ones:) so i went through two sets of u joints... and then said screw that.. time for sye, got my AA sye and Tom Woods driveshaft... it was ok for a month... but now im still getting the vibes, and once in a while... when i shift from R to D or N to any of these... it makes that "Click" as if one of the U Joints were worn out...

I have AAL in the rear + longer shackles... plus 1.25" tc drop...
i probably should put a 4* shim, but for now..im paranoid about my gears...:p dont want to replace them YET...:) its a DD

hows your front ds? I was so worried about rear vibes when I lifted that I didnt even think about my front ds. pulled it off, no vibes, 4.5 inches of lift, ford 8.8, and no SYE. imagine that. the damnedest thing I have seen.

will look into it tommorow, and let you know... im also getting a noise that has been pissing me off for few days now... and i see my jeep marks its territory now... red... i didnt know he was a she... :pPPPPP anyway... did my sye about two months ago, everything fine, but now im getting red from somewhere where the tranny mount is, my xmember is all wet and clean(red!) ... and also around 100km/h ... which is about 60? im getting like a "stretched chain" type of whining noise, which is barely noticeable... but i just know it wasnt there before.......

Purple said:

The wheel drops 1/2 an inch? I don't think thats possible. Even if you're exagerating, it's not normal for the wheel to drop any amount. Maybe your bearings are toast. If you are talking about the gears in the differential then disregard what I'm posting - everyone else seems to know what you mean.

Purple said:
I have AAL in the rear + longer shackles... plus 1.25" tc drop...
i probably should put a 4* shim, but for now..im paranoid about my gears...:p dont want to replace them YET...:) its a DD

well sounds like you need to get your driveline figured out:
1- pull the front shaft and drive around a bit - then you will know if the vibes are front end related
2 - get your rear end driveline geometry setup -
do some reading here:
Driveline 401

and figure out if your rear end is set up properly -

then report back

Nice digi camera shots BTW - looks like someone spent some $$$ on a nice camera...!

i removed the front DS 2 minutes ago:p ... will see how the jeep drives tommorow:) and let you know... as for the camera... its a Canon - Digital Rebel SLR

Purple said:
as for the camera... its a Canon - Digital Rebel SLR
you POS...
lucky bastard...

Back