• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

angle shims for 4.5"?

cherogeek

NAXJA Forum User
You'll have to excuse me, Im 20 and relatively green. 2 questions actually. I am installing a lift. Included in the kit is a transfer case drop. Does installing shims negate the need to install the drop? and what angle do I need for a 4.5" lift? Thanks in advance!

cherogeek said:
You'll have to excuse me, Im 20 and relatively green. 2 questions actually. I am installing a lift. Included in the kit is a transfer case drop. Does installing shims negate the need to install the drop? and what angle do I need for a 4.5" lift? Thanks in advance!
The shims are used to correct for the angle change caused by the rotation of the axle due to longer shackles or different springs. Now you might get away with just the drop. You might get away with just the shims (make sure to install them in the appropriate direction and size depending on your needs). You might have to do both. You might have to get SYE and shims (latter is a maybe again dependent on your angles).
Part of it relates to the year of your jeep: older are more forgiving with the angle changes then the newer ones.

Edit: in regards to what angle.... the angle between the yoke and the driveshaft should be the same as the angle between the tcase output and the driveshaft (the pinion output on which the yoke is should be parallel to the tcase output for stock driveshaft setups).

Hey man...have fun with the lift kit. When I did mine, I didnt have shims or anything. I had a t-case drop...but the vibes were still horrible. I ended up grabbing 6* shims. I just guessed on the angle. They worked good. I suggest saving up for a slip yoke eliminator and a driveshaft for the rear. Either get a new one, or modify a front shaft. Once I did that the jeep was totally smooth...an amazing difference over the shims. I think its one of those things that you have to measure after its together...but 6* should get you going.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
Hey man...have fun with the lift kit.
I think its one of those things that you have to measure after its together...but 6* should get you going.

Do you guys have the same lift kit? If not then you're shooting in the dark: depending on manufacturer, the jeep and many other things, the 4.5" kit will give you varied heights. Anyways, it's not that hard to measure out the angles (btw, measure the angles after yo udrive around the block once or twice and give everything a chance to settle a hair)

Yeah..thats basically what I was getting at. I took a shot in the dark with the 6* shims. It was either that or not drive the jeep. I guess I could have measured. Luckily it worked out. Then again...I already had an SYE and driveshaft coming, so it only had to work for me for a few weeks. Measuring is good...

Justin

Kejtar said:
Do you guys have the same lift kit? If not then you're shooting in the dark
Even then you can get different amounts from the same manufacturer; the best way to tell just what you need is going to be by measuring it. Period.

Go to Tom Woods' website (www.4xshaft.com) and check out the Tech; under Geometry 101 there are some excellent illustrations of how to measure your angles depending on whether you've got the stock driveshaft (pinion angle should be same as the t-case output angle) or an SYE (pinion angle should be 0* relative to the driveshaft, or 1-2* below it.)

I have a 4.5" lift and didnt drop the T case or install shims or anything. It runs great. Though I really dont want to go any higher without getting a SYE and CV drive shaft.

Your profile says a 1999. With that Tcase and 4.5" you are probably going to need a SYE.

Locally for shims, try Precision Off Road (good guys, I wheeled with some last weekend), or 4 Wheel Parts, or one of the axle shops. Since you are local check out AustinJeepExclusive.org (not all XJs but at least all Jeeps!)

cherogeek said:
OH, and where would I get shims from without ordering them?
oh yeah, when you get shims it's recommended to go with steel and not aluminum as aluminum gets crushed and breaks and falls out (or so I hear :D).

Back