• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK question..

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to install rusty's 3" lift. DO i really need a spring compressor to do this, or can I just maz out the opposite end of the axle? Thanks guys.

You do not need the compressor, just unbolt the swaybar at the axle, and the lower control arms, ano side at a time. The sway bar-both sides same time.

OR...

Unbolt your shocks. Unbolt your swaybar. Unbolt your trackbar.

jack your Jeep up from the body, and support it on several jackstands. With the wheels removed, and everything above unbolted, reach in and unbolt the spring retaining clip on the coil bucket.

Then, take a bottle jack, and jack up one side of the axle. Then, go to the opposite side, slide the coil out, and slide the new one in.

Remove the jack from the first side, and repeat on other side. Reverse the steps fro putting everything back together.

Fergie

Everyone has forgotten to remove the calipers first!

No, don't disconnect the upper arm, because it is helping you keep the axle in place under the jeep, plus it is not necessary to pull it.

O.K. Fergie, I said to pull the lower arms because it was the quickest way to change the springs outside while it was raining. And no, I did not have a shop at the time, and the rain started while I was a little over half done. Now I have a shop and more than one vehicle to drive.

Fergie said:

Don't want to stretch the brake line like a banjo string when you drop the axle down to get the spring in.

cjwalkeriii said:
calipers? that's a joke right?

No. When you disconnect all the various suspension components and the shocks, what is next in line holding the axle up? The brake lines. Remove the calipers from the knuckles and hang them from the chassis with bailing wire or something similar. It couldn't hurt.

uhmmmm.....NO. He's right. I would'nt want to tear a line and then have to replace it and bleed the entire system just becuase I forgot to undo 4 bolts. 5 minutes tops.

Brake line and bleeding 45 min. YOU CHOOSE.

Lawn Cher' said:
Don't want to stretch the brake line like a banjo string when you drop the axle down to get the spring in.

X2 if they are old lines they may already be drie rotted some.. just asking for trouble...

red91inWA said:
uhmmmm.....NO. He's right. I would'nt want to tear a line and then have to replace it and bleed the entire system just becuase I forgot to undo 4 bolts. 5 minutes tops.

Brake line and bleeding 45 min. YOU CHOOSE.

X2 again

rent spring compressors. It will make your life much easier. I just put on rustsys 3" coils and used compressors. Ive also tried it without them. It is possible but if you can rent them or borrow some it will save you time and frustration.

good call guys just one other thing. With the rears, did you replace the ubolts or reuse the stock ones? thanks again

I used new ones, because the old ones were not coming loose due to rust from the clay in ky.

Do not waste money on a compressor. The way I described works better than a compressor and takes less time. Last time I did mine it took less than 30 minutes.

Cher- Calipers makes perfect sense now. I didnt assocaite the lift to stretching brake lines as I have had YJ lines on mine, and that was never a problem.

Fergie

PS- DONT USE THE COMPRESSOR.

Back