• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeeky interior

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
My 94 xj, along with every other xj i have ever driven or been driven in, sounds like there is a family of grebils living in the cargo area. Im sure you all know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know what causes the squeeking? Its not my spare because i already have that removed and laying flat in the back. Any ideas? Its been driving me crazy latly. Thanks

-Tim

It is probably the rear hatch sqeaking against the body because the seal is compressed and needs changing. That happed on all four of mine. Also, check that the pin in the hinge on the hatch is not working it's way out, and that the hinges are tight to the body. hth

i have a 94 xj also, the rear seat latch squeeks pretty bad too...... it seems like everything in these squeeks rattles and shakes at least alittle.... its all part of the personality of em

Yeah didn't think about the seat latch. Your right, though, each one seems to have it's own personality.

If you still have a spare tire bolted in on the side, remove it temporarily and see if the squeaking stops. I noticed that mine rubbed on the back of the seat, so I repositioned it slightly and stuffed an old washrag between the tire and seat. Problem solved.

i too have a 94 xj and generally have a lot of noise...as if all the interior is gonna fall off. I think the main noise is coming from the pillars and the rear seat hinges....i think i am gonna shovew some grease/wd40 in there.

pete

If any of the plastic panels were ever removed to route wires, install stereo, et cetera, the fabric pieces that prevent rubbing could have come off. This spring/summer, I plan to take just about everything apart and apply little pieces of fabric here and there to prevent the plastic-to-plastic noises. These are most apparent during swings of temp./humidity.

yea my 2000 makes al kinds a noise..especially from right up by the driver door and steering column area..will be looking to trace it soon..drives me nuts also....
Maier

I noticed that the noise came from the hinges on the rear seat back. This is what the rear seat back rotates on when folding it down. At that point you have metal on metal. I tried, silicone and lithium grease and they both provide only temporary relief. I also wrapped electrical tape on the rod that latches on both sides of the seat. As soon as the tape wears away it starts back up again. Those noises are annoying but I've gotten used to them.

The one that really bugs me is a squeak in the dash of my 99XJ. Right behind the AC/heater controls is this really annoying squeak. On a hot day it's quiet but most of the time it's noisy as the XJ goes over bumps or just riding on a bumpy freeway. I've tried taking the panel off and moving things around to check for looseness with no luck. I figure that on a hot day there's expansion going on that fills up the gap and eliminates that play that causes the squeak. I've had this problem since I got my XJ 5 years ago.

Any suggestions?

MAP

Maybe try gluing a thin piece of foam rubber to the duct work or dash frame back in the hole behind the heater controls. hth

For the squeaky hatch, make sure that the latch is aligned properly, and that the post is not worn. You can take the post off and turn it around to compensate for some wear.

For the seats, at the latches you can take the rubber blocks out and turn them around if they are worn. A little silicone grease can help there too. If the pivots squeak you can alleviate that a little bit by wrapping tape around them.

I still cannot get used to the rear seats squeaking and I'm sure the fact that mine is bowed doesn't help. I'm thinking if you go with a newer style upper seat(97+) maybe they changed some of the weakened design because my brother's 2001 is silent. I know it's hard to find them in the junkyard but if you can get a latches from like a 95 or 96 sometimes they will have good rubber also. If by rare chance you can find a 97+ well, you just have good luck.
My $.02

HAve you tried just leaving the seat backs down?

Ha Ha Ha That's funny trying to stop all the squeaks. For every squeak i have traced down and made quite, two have have always popped up. Once, for about a week I "thought" I had them all. I was so dang excited I was even going to post here and brag that i did what most said could'nt be done. they all slowly came back and in different places too. I have even done everything described above.
I just gave up. Now I just roll the window down and turn the stereo up.

I can't hear my squeeks anymore, the front door seals let too much wind in ........

For the plastic parts, glue and material works well. Most of the parts were originally glued and over time have come loose. As for the wind noise, try tightening the doors up a bit by loosening the latch post and sliding it in a fraction--trail and error to get the right amount. This will tighten up the door seals significantly. I wish I would have figured that out years ago on my 94 instead of living w/ the wind tunnel noise, and water coming in at the carwash. :)

wrong1 said:
I'm still trying to figure out the squeek on the driver door on mine. Thinkin it needs new xmas trees or something.

You guys must live in nice smooth areas.....

Here in PA, I've never had a car (any of 'em... I've owned eight new ones) get to 10k miles without some sort of strange rattle or squeak!

You get used to it. And, yes, the '05 Honda rattles, too.

It's like a torture-test on our roads.....

Den

Back