• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case confused

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have an '88 XJ I looked under the at the T-Case and it says NP231 on the round plate but on the shifter it has this
tcs.jpg

and when the shifter is in 2WD it is slugish and feels like it is in 4WD and if I put it in 4WD it feels like 2WD very wierd what I need to know is it the shfter wrong or is the t-case been changed or is the linkage not right??

I need to know I looked at another '88 XJ that has a NP231 in it but the shifter lable is different... kinda hard to tell what the owner had done to it befor I got it..

any help would be great...

I can't read your pic. If the t-case says NP231 though, your shifter should read 2H - 4H - N - 4L. Just wanted to get that out in the open now to reduce confusion later on. I don't think it's possible t oscrew the linkage up enough to do what you're saying...

Your pic is the bezel from a 242, why you have that and a 231 case under the Jeep is anybody's guess.

Safari Ary said:
Your pic is the bezel from a 242, why you have that and a 231 case under the Jeep is anybody's guess.

safari Ari's return to the forum... your back I see...

My guess would be they changed Transfer cases. Of course mine has the Command track and it is an 88. Was the Select track an option that year ?

231 is 231. It sounds like the previous owner swapped in a 231 after trashing the 242.

If the 231 came out of a YJ Wrangler, the linkage on the t-case is reversed because on the YJs the linkage was all on the case, not on the floor like on an XJ. Whoever did the install may not have flipped over the shift arm on the transfer case to make it work correctly.

You need to get under another XJ with a 231 and see if your shift linkage is set up the same.

ok I found out it is a NP231 it is from another XJ tested it by putting a concrete block infront of thr front driver wheel and put it in nutral and found the nutral spot on the t-case then whent forward where 2WD should be it didn't climb the block it just pushed it out of the way.. Then I tried where 4WD HI would be and it climbed the block then died.. thats another question in a few minutes.... then i restarted it and shifted to where 4WD LO would be and it climbed the block no problem.... ok I still feel like its in 4WD when it's in 2WD when I come to a stop sign it feels like the brakes grab but I just had the brakes done..... and it also tries to die unless I put it in nutral at the stop sign and give it gas it will stay running.. if I don't it dies out and I have to restart it again... any help would be great....

I have oil change, sparkplugs & wires, new rotor, trans fluid, t-case fluid, front and rearend fluids, checked fuel pressure and even run on a computer from snapon and computer shows all clear no codes....

Back