• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Resetting maintainence required light

kofeebrat

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving home from work the other day when the "maintainence required" light came on. After consulting the manual I found out that it's for scheduled emissions maintainence. I was just wondering if there was any way to reset the bugger without going to a dealership?? I just don't wanna spend $$$ on a tech flippin a switch then hooking up a OBD and saying "Everything is AOK". I know on the Geo Trackers there is a switch behind the driver's side speaker that you just flip and it resets the light, anything like that on the XJ, or is a trip to a dealer required (don't have my own OBD) ??

Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert...but my Chiltons manual tells me that to reset the light for emissions maintenance, a module needs to be replaced. Not just reset, but physically replaced.

Maybe some electrical tape over the light??? LOL If you don't want to pay for the service, that is.

i pulled my light out 80k ago :)

Here is what I stated previously on this issue:

A 1992 will have BOTH a "check engine" and a "maintenance required" light.

The CE light is what will illuminate when the ECU senses a problem. On a 1992, which is OBD-I, it can also be interrogated into flashing. Counting the flashes will reveal the codes. (So will plugging the DRB scanner into the DRB port under the hood, but most of us don't have a DRB scanner, so counting flashes is easier.) Fixing whatever the ECU says is wrong will cause this light to go out.

The "maintenance required" light comes on automatically at 82,500 miles. It's designed to alert the owner to take the vehicle to the dealer, where the O2 sensor will be replaced. This light can ONLY be reset by using the DRB scanner.

On my 1992, I replaced the O2 sensor at 82K, and then I pulled the bulb from the socket for the MR light. You just have to remember to change the O2 sensor at least every 82K miles..........

AZ Jeff said:
On my 1992, I replaced the O2 sensor at 82K, and then I pulled the bulb from the socket for the MR light. You just have to remember to change the O2 sensor at least every 82K miles..........

And what if you dont change the O2 sensor.....I never changed mine and it still passes emissions just fine......it has 170,000 now on it.

Mine came on last summer. I was gonna hook it up to the scanner at work but never got to it, it wasnt really anywhere close ot the top of my list of things to do. Anyway, a couple thousand miles later i realized it was off. I dont know if its supposed to do that or if the bulb blew out but if you have to pa someone to hook it up to a scanner then i would just wait it out. The shop I work at get $60 I think just for hooking the car up to the scanner.

Dean

Back