• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ mirrors

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be pulling a small landscape trailer around a lot starting in a couple weeks and I'd like to have mirrors that actually show me what going on behind me. I thought about wrangler mirrors and found this . Seems pretty straigh forward, but is there any way to mount them on the door or are the fenders the best place? Also, are there better mirrors for this or would mirrors off a wrangler be the best? I'd appreciate some pictures if anyone has some.

Thanks,
Dean

They work great...

I did fab up some internal braces.. do a search... there's some good articles on it here...

mirror.jpg

Hey if your down for some door modification, i.e. drilling holes. Then go for it. Ive always thought that they look really good on cherokees.

Kinda look like they sit a bit tilted inward when mounted in the above seen fasion. Like the mirrors themselves have "negative camber" :D

robs said:
They work great...

I did fab up some internal braces.. do a search... there's some good articles on it here...

mirror.jpg

Did you have to cut up the inside of the door so you could brace it or was there enough room to work in there? I did search, only found about mounting on fenders though, I didnt know if it was just because those people take there doors off or cause the fender is just really the best place to mount them.

Thanks

Dean

DDCxj said:
Did you have to cut up the inside of the door so you could brace it or was there enough room to work in there? I did search, only found about mounting on fenders though, I didnt know if it was just because those people take there doors off or cause the fender is just really the best place to mount them.

Thanks
Š
Dean

i mounted mine on the fenders, because my doors are off most of the time

It was pretty easy... I ripped off one mirror the day I fractured my arm, so I did it with one arm in a cast... :wierd:

I used some 2-1/2x3/16" flatstock for the inside of the door and tack welded the nuts to that... bolted them on the door, and then just used some 7/16" round stock and made a brace from the inside of the door to the flatstock...

Sounds tougher than it is... it's a little tight on room, but very doable. They're very solid. All door panels go right back on...

Here's mine, They are a huge improvement over the stock 96-back mirrors. I positioned them to where I have the best field of vision. Mounted in this spot they will fold in and lay flat to the wing window, it's really nice when wheeling to get them out of the way. To fill the holes of the stockers, I just cut off the base part of the stock mirrors where they hinge, ground them down smooth and filled the smaller holes with body filler and painted them black to make a plug ,worked great.

47b5df24b3127cce9da3851a357000000016109AYuXLdy2ao

Looks great!...

For the stock locations... i made a template from the gasket... cut it from 1/8" stock and welded a couple bolts to it..... There's a couple different ways to attack the factory locations...

mirror3.jpg

hackedxj said:
Here's mine, They are a huge improvement over the stock 96-back mirrors. I positioned them to where I have the best field of vision. Mounted in this spot they will fold in and lay flat to the wing window, it's really nice when wheeling to get them out of the way. To fill the holes of the stockers, I just cut off the base part of the stock mirrors where they hinge, ground them down smooth and filled the smaller holes with body filler and painted them black to make a plug ,worked great.

47b5df24b3127cce9da3851a357000000016109AYuXLdy2ao
What year is your jeep?

I was wondering about that. I saw the newer style 97+ front shell, and was confused with the wing windows. I see you updated to the newer cherokee logo lettering on the door too. Very trick indeed. The paint will throw you off too. Being a newer hue and all.

I gotta hand it to you, hackedxj is definitely not the most apt screen name for you. On the contrary, that jeep is extremely clean and well put together. Almost looks factory.

Oh and what can you tell me about your flares?

Back