• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removable doors?

Nernballs

NAXJA Forum User
I recently drove my friends wrangler and Im kinda jealous of the doorless driving thing, even though i have like 80,000x the cargo space. I have a 96 four door XJ and my jeep mentor told me if i cut off the bottom side of the door hinges the doors will come right off if i disconnect the speaker wires (no power windows or doors). Has anyone ever done this or can anyone see and big problems with it?

check out the doors zionoffroad.com makes. they have a quick disconnect system so you can change from no doors to their doors in seconds. I saw a couple of guys running them at ejs

I looked at allot of the tube doors, but i don’t know if any of them use the stock hinges.

Dose anyone know of a tube door i can use, and still be able to put the original doors back on?

And dose anyone know if it is illegal to drive in Ohio w/o doors?

I was takin off the doors today to modify the hinge, but on the drivers door, one of the bolts was stripped on the top hinge. Any ideas on how to get it out to replace? TIA

rock rash said:
I was takin off the doors today to modify the hinge, but on the drivers door, one of the bolts was stripped on the top hinge. Any ideas on how to get it out to replace? TIA

when i did mine i had 3 strip, so i grabbed a pair of vise grips and went to town, a lil slower but it worked.

C85D4x4 said:
I looked at allot of the tube doors, but i don’t know if any of them use the stock hinges.

Dose anyone know of a tube door i can use, and still be able to put the original doors back on?

www.formattfab.com

Formatt Fabrications has doors that use the stock hinges....you take the factory doors off according to any one of the writeups....and you put the tube doors on. Then you take the tube doors off and put your factory doors back on.....simple as that.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

C85D4x4 said:

Yep, sure is legal, just went and talked to the State Highway Patrol the other day. Forgot to ask about mirrors, so that's the next question. My buddy in his YJ just has a rearview mirror, never had any problems.

With the mirrors, I know here in Utah you have to have 2. A driver side is a must and a rear view or passenger side mirror, or both.

Does anybody know the actual NJ laws for doors and mirrors? I have a friend telling me its not legal and a neighbor telling me its legal to only have the rearview...

To anyone that has done the removable door modification like written up at projectxj.com: Have you had any trouble with the hinges breaking or bending. I would really like to do this modification but the lower hinge on my driver side door already snaped in half. Im wondering how is it possible for a half of a stock hinge to do the job where a complete stock hing failed. Maybe there was a flaw in the metal?

I broke a hinge trying to get it out of the passenger side on a friends rig. We ended up taking a 1/4" grade 8 bolt and cutting it down to the appropriate hinge size....and tack welding it into place so that the door would still lift off as intended.

The pin still has all the engagement that it did when it was stock. It just doesn't go through 2 places of the hinge on the door side like it used to.

You could have a bad pin.....or the material could have fatigued for various reasons.

I haven't had a single problem with mine since I did the writeup.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

What I did with mine was insted of just cutting off the bottom pin hole I cut from half way between the two pin holes diagianaly down across the face of the hinge between the bolt holes. That way when mounted the pin will still be supported top and bottom. All you have to do is un bolt the lower piece slid it off the pin and lift off the door. It takes a little longer but it should be more stable.

I just did the mod this week and its not painted up yet but it seems to be pretty strong. I will eventually replace all the torx with hex but i bought all the 8mm x 35mm bolts the only store it town that carries them had. Anyway everyone tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Hey Stevo, check these out. This is what i'm looking to do if I can find a set of 97+ doors.

47b5da29b3127cce915a7c93970100000026109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5da29b3127cce915a7eb7161400000036139AYuXLdy2ao

47b5da29b3127cce915a7d66565c00000016109AYuXLdy2ao

Back