• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at another XJ found one with a .....

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
TF 999 swapped into from a CJ w/ 360. The guy says he has all the paper work on it and its been rebuilt and has a deep oil pan and other upgrades done to it. The Jeep itself is a '98 with 114k miles on it, should I be cautious of it? It was a 5-speed and he said he got tired of the manual so he swapped in the 3 speed auto. It has Rustys 6"+ LA kit, 35s, 4.10s, bumpers, etc. and he only wants like $6500.

I just wanted to see what you guys think about an XJ with this type tranny swap?

They're stout trannies, but you'll hate the 3 speed with no OD.

CRASH

ZachMan said:
TF 999 swapped into from a CJ w/ 360. The guy says he has all the paper work on it and its been rebuilt and has a deep oil pan and other upgrades done to it. The Jeep itself is a '98 with 114k miles on it, should I be cautious of it? It was a 5-speed and he said he got tired of the manual so he swapped in the 3 speed auto. It has Rustys 6"+ LA kit, 35s, 4.10s, bumpers, etc. and he only wants like $6500.

I just wanted to see what you guys think about an XJ with this type tranny swap?

what engine is in the xj? the 2.5 or what?

as for teh TF999 it is a decent meduim duty non computer controled auto trans with a lock up torque converter, its a pretty durable unit

xjnation said:
what engine is in the xj? the 2.5 or what?

as for teh TF999 it is a decent meduim duty non computer controled auto trans with a lock up torque converter, its a pretty durable unit

Its a 4.0L

I hope since its geared shallow 4.10s + 3-speed + 35s it will be ok?

With no overdrive what will I actually hate about it? The furthest I ever drive on the interstate is 50 miles, I do drive on the interstae 20 miles to work everyday though. Will it just get crappy MPG at hwy speeds or what?

Just talked to the owner going to look at it this weekend, he said he would take $5500 for it.

Be cautious (of this and any other used Jeep you look at). . . Specifically with this one: Why that tranny, why those gears, and are the axles stock?

A stock XJ auto tranny would have been up to the task, so this one seems an odd choice. Any sensible person planning to run 35's would have regeared lower than 4.10s (again another odd choice?) and if they had the $ to do it right would have upgraded axles. Unless the axles are upgraded, they are marginal at best with 35's (multiple threads exist on the subject).

So maybe, the owner, tired of the expense of replacing clutches, and the poor performance with the original 3.07 gears (rather than shifting as he claims), finally broke a tranny, axle (or both). So, he bolted in some junkyard axles, and the best deal on an auto tranny he could find that fit, wheeled it a bit, and figured he would move on.

With 35's, I'd expect to find a SYE, beefy axles, and 4-wheel disk brakes - It takes A LOT to do a 6" lift correctly.

And you plan to drive this 20 miles a day on the interstate to work?

Maybe the guy just HATES comupters, doesn't think the three speed is a bad thing, and likes V-8 power? The parts for the 999 tranny are 119 bucks from jegs, the book is 24 bucks, and the tranny can be redone in about 2-3 hours WITHOUT fancy tools. The AW-4 is a pile of cash, 850-1700, several days, and lost wheel time to have redone.

3XJFamily said:
Be cautious (of this and any other used Jeep you look at). . . Specifically with this one: Why that tranny, why those gears, and are the axles stock?

A stock XJ auto tranny would have been up to the task, so this one seems an odd choice. Any sensible person planning to run 35's would have regeared lower than 4.10s (again another odd choice?) and if they had the $ to do it right would have upgraded axles. Unless the axles are upgraded, they are marginal at best with 35's (multiple threads exist on the subject).

So maybe, the owner, tired of the expense of replacing clutches, and the poor performance with the original 3.07 gears (rather than shifting as he claims), finally broke a tranny, axle (or both). So, he bolted in some junkyard axles, and the best deal on an auto tranny he could find that fit, wheeled it a bit, and figured he would move on.

With 35's, I'd expect to find a SYE, beefy axles, and 4-wheel disk brakes - It takes A LOT to do a 6" lift correctly.

And you plan to drive this 20 miles a day on the interstate to work?

Thanks I know all about axle strength this will be my 3rd XJ. Why would you expect 4-discs? I'd say they would be a good investment with 35s, but with d30/8.25 combo not many folks pay the $$$ for discs on an 8.25. I surely would be surprised if it had rear discs. Plus I can get a newer 8.8 with 4.10s for nothing. It would have to have an SYE at that height, I've owned 3 97+ XJs and I installed AA HD SYEs on all, even one with just a BB lift. The lift is good, its Rustys LA kit, not my first choice, but it could be alot worse.

I am wondering about the tranny mainly and you made good points and I'll make sure to ask those questions. It seems kinda fishy, but I can't place judgement until he answers my questions and I drive it, I know how it should drive.

He has only had the lift and tires since Nov. so he must have had a smaller lift/tires before.

Yeap plan to drive it 20 miles each way on the hwy to work.

Last edited:
xjnation said:
THINKING TO MYSELF???? I did not think a 999 or 904 that was behind an amc 8 would bolt up to the 4.0????????

???

I'll add that to the list of questions for him.

Well I asked him a few questions and here is his response, seems pretty normal responses to me:

To answer your queston the reason i went with the tf999 is because it is pressureized not controled by a computer. If i had put a aw4 in i would for then had to figure out how to wire it up to make the computer tell it when to shift. Also another big reason was that the tf999 has the same bolt pattern as a aw4 and ax15 so it bolted right in. The reason i went to 4:10s and not 4:56's was that when i put the gears in i was running 32's not the 35's like i am now. The real reason i did the tranny swap was because my clutch had worn out and i had wanted an auto. Somehow i convinced my dad that it was a good idea so we did it and started ordering parts. Would i do it again, no just because it would of been so much cheeper and quicker to just replace the clutch. Am I glad I did it, heck yea this thing is awsome and has so much torque. Besides that its something different. Its not something you see every day. The funny thing is between the torque and the and the 4:11 gears thay balance each other just right to pull 35s with no problem on the interstate.

ZachMan said:
Well I asked him a few questions and here is his response, seems pretty normal responses to me:

To answer your queston the reason i went with the tf999 is because it is pressureized not controled by a computer. If i had put a aw4 in i would for then had to figure out how to wire it up to make the computer tell it when to shift. Also another big reason was that the tf999 has the same bolt pattern as a aw4 and ax15 so it bolted right in. The reason i went to 4:10s and not 4:56's was that when i put the gears in i was running 32's not the 35's like i am now. The real reason i did the tranny swap was because my clutch had worn out and i had wanted an auto. Somehow i convinced my dad that it was a good idea so we did it and started ordering parts. Would i do it again, no just because it would of been so much cheeper and quicker to just replace the clutch. Am I glad I did it, heck yea this thing is awsome and has so much torque. Besides that its something different. Its not something you see every day. The funny thing is between the torque and the and the 4:11 gears thay balance each other just right to pull 35s with no problem on the interstate.

where is this hybrid tranny xj @ & i'll go see what all this hoopla is about??

JLane99XJ said:
where is this hybrid tranny xj @ & i'll go see what all this hoopla is about??

Its in Auburn, but it will be in Birmingham soon.

Rev Den said:
Short answer.

NO! Run away from this one. The reasons are numerous.

Rev

Come on now, you can't post that and not explain why. I am 90% sure I am buying it so speak up!

Ok, saying I shouldn't buy anything built is not a reason for (myself) to be scared of buying. I am on a VERY tight budget and I can get a stock 100k 98 XJ for the same price is this one with a good amount of money in it.

Last edited:
Rusty's longarms....ALARM
999 Auto, WHY??...ALARM
Just a few hundred miles, at most, on trans....ALARM
Stock axles on 35's....ALARM
No overdrive on that tranny....ALARM

Thats enough for me....these things are not rare, keep your eyes open for a good STOCK used one.

That is just my opinon....you can do what you want.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Rusty's longarms....ALARM
999 Auto, WHY??...ALARM
Just a few hundred miles, at most, on trans....ALARM
Stock axles on 35's....ALARM
No overdrive on that tranny....ALARM

Thats enough for me....these things are not rare, keep your eyes open for a good STOCK used one.

That is just my opinon....you can do what you want.

Rev
999 Tranny=Almost the same thing as a 904..And mine's got over 260K behind a 2.8, with NO service.

And Lock-up converter=just as good as OD....And actually was marketed as an OD.

Storydude said:
999 Tranny=Almost the same thing as a 904..And mine's got over 260K behind a 2.8, with NO service.

And Lock-up converter=just as good as OD....And actually was marketed as an OD.

Actually the TF999 in the Jeep does have a locked up converter, B&M shift kit, deep oil pan, tranny cooler and temp guage.

Back