• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS setting

Set?

I'm not sure I understand what you need. The TPS doesn't have a setting. You can check it with your voltmeter. With the ignition on, (don't unplug the connector) probe the back of the connector, positive to center wire and negative to black wire. Throttle fully closed should read > 200 millivolts. Throttle fully open a little < 4.8 volts. If not replace. Hope this is what you need.:)

Yes it is adjustable on an '89. The Renix tps's from '87-90 are adjustable, i think it has some little screws on it somewhere for adjustment or something like that but i've never done it as i have a '91. Maybe someone else can help more.

Eric

I'm not sure where HossHoffer got his info, but there is indeed a setting procedure for the TPS on the 87-90 4.0:

Test is done with throttle closed, connectors connected. Insert probes through back of connectors to make readings.

For manual connect + probe to terminal A, and - to B. Take a reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts but probably lower. Note the reading well. Now move the positive probe to terminal C. The reading should be 16 percent of the previous reading.

For Automatic, use the square, 4-terminal plug. Connect probe + to terminal A, and - to D. Note reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts. Now move probe + to terminal B. This reading should be 82 % of the first.

Loosen the screws that hold the TPS to the throttle body (carefully, they may be very tight and you don't want to mash the heads or shear them), and rotate the tps slightly to adjust. For finest adjustment, loosen one only a little, and the other more, and it will rock a little in its hole.

Oops

Thats what I get for working mids and not enough sleep sometimes. I was giving you info for 91-97. I apologize and promise to pay more attention to what I'm reading. Spank me with the big paddle.:angel: And thanks for setting it straight.

Back