• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 questions

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found most of the info I was looking for but I still have a couple of questions about this swap. I'm thinking about buying a ford 8.8 axle from someone that upgraded his XJ. The axle is already setup for an XJ except for the shock mounts. The parts in it are only 6 months old, He wants 650 for it which seems like a fair price to me considering its already setup. What do u guys think of the price? Also it has the disk brakes on the rear, Would I need to install a second master cylinder to be able to run those properly? Thanks

Fudd said:
I searched and found most of the info I was looking for but I still have a couple of questions about this swap. I'm thinking about buying a ford 8.8 axle from someone that upgraded his XJ. The axle is already setup for an XJ except for the shock mounts. The parts in it are only 6 months old, He wants 650 for it which seems like a fair price to me considering its already setup. What do u guys think of the price? Also it has the disk brakes on the rear, Would I need to install a second master cylinder to be able to run those properly? Thanks

no on the master cylinder and what do ya mean by setup? a stock one usually goes for around 300 to 350

i would only pay that much if all the mounts were welded on and had been re-geared and a locker possibly

i like doing stuff myself though

the 8.8 is one of the most swapped axles, do a search and you will find TONS including info on master cylinders (you don't need another) and prices (650 is real good if it's geared and locked, decent if only one or the other, steep if neither)

He's already put on the flange for the driveshaft, and the lug pattern is the same as a stock jeep, By setup I meant that the only thing I have to do to the axle is put on the shock mounts and its ready to go in. I also forgot to say that it has the factory limited slip rear. When u said a stock one for 300-350 those are junkyard prices right? He replaced all the parts in the axle six months ago so its basically brand new. So people have bolted up the disk brakes to their factory brake lines w/ no problems?

If its not locked and geared higher it aint worth 650.00, and yes the disc brakes will sork just fine with your master cylinder, you may need a new proportioning valve but Im not sure. but 650 is high for that axle

geared then maybe 450.00

i disagree, especially if you don't have the ability to set it up yourself (weld, gears etc)

$300 average to good price on 8.8
$200 gears and install kit
$150 labor on gears
$100? driveshaft flange and moving perches/shockmounts
$50 brakepads/misc.

that's $800

BrettM said:
i disagree, especially if you don't have the ability to set it up yourself (weld, gears etc)

$300 average to good price on 8.8
$200 gears and install kit
$150 labor on gears
$100? driveshaft flange and moving perches/shockmounts
$50 brakepads/misc.

that's $800
for new yes but it has been used for 6 months on trails, usially used price is 50% to 60% of new. ya cant expect to get what ya paid when ya sell it used.

i'm buying this one, already set upped, HD diff cover, LS, just not geared yet, for $275

529972_18_full.jpg

picking it up this weekend..:laugh3:

I got an 8.8 under my rig, and luckly, it had 4.10s to match my front. I got it for 300 from the junkyard and got everything welded on (no welding skills-- I lose I know) for less tha 200. So thats 500 for an 8.8, so it can be done cheaply-- hell, even cheaper than mine if your handy with tools

ctavel said:
I got an 8.8 under my rig, and luckly, it had 4.10s to match my front. I got it for 300 from the junkyard and got everything welded on (no welding skills-- I lose I know) for less tha 200. So thats 500 for an 8.8, so it can be done cheaply-- hell, even cheaper than mine if your handy with tools

X2

did the guy weld the tubes as well? if he didn't you got more welding to do
do you plan on puttin in a locker soon? if so you have to pay labor do basicly re-gear it
when he said new parts does he mean everything or just a master install kit and pads? if everything was new rotors, pads, calipers, outer bearings, tube seals, carier bearings, pinion bearing, pinion seal, pinion/ring gear, it might be worth it
what was it out of before he got it. there were a few vehicles that used an 8.8 does it have 31spline what is the width did he convert it to disk or did it come that way.

all these are questions you should answer before you determine if it is a fair price. report back and we'll let ya know.

almost forgot are you sure the guy knows what he is doing if he set up the gears himself could be dumping a bum axle on ya if he messed something up.

Just saw an Explorer 8.8 at Pick and Pull for $125. They sold about 1 billion Explorers over the years, and they all had 8.8's with 31 spline shafts. I would only pay $650 for one if it was geared and ARBed.

Of course, I would never buy another 8.8 in the first place, but that's a nother topic entirely.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Just saw an Explorer 8.8 at Pick and Pull for $125. They sold about 1 billion Explorers over the years, and they all had 8.8's with 31 spline shafts. I would only pay $650 for one if it was geared and ARBed.

Of course, I would never buy another 8.8 in the first place, but that's a nother topic entirely.

CRASH

A very wise man you are.

why buy an 8.8 when for ths ame cost you can put in a 44 from many different doners

xjnation said:
A very wise man you are.

why buy an 8.8 when for ths ame cost you can put in a 44 from many different doners

Funny, I would never put a 44 in either. Both are too weak to handle larger tires, low gearing and a stroker.

With the 8.8. it's the housing.

With the 44 it's the pinion/shafts.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Funny, I would never put a 44 in either. Both are too weak to handle larger tires, low gearing and a stroker.

CRASH

larger than what? what tire size you talikng about?

Hey is this the Fudd that helped that guy lift the Liberty? Has to be!

What axle did that rolled XJ you got have under it? Just curious.

CRASH said:

CRASH
what size tires are you talking about.. a 44 is good for 35's and lower locked as far as i know, and i know tj rubicon guys running 37's on their dana 44's with no breakage

Back