• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console

Luntz

NAXJA Member #1186
Does anybody know if there are pre-drilled holes to mount the rear bracket for the overhesd console on a 2000 classic? The wiring is done,whew, and I don't see any specific place to mount the bracket.
Help!
Thanks

Was the wiring harness already up there? I have a '96 and I plan to do the overhead console installation. I havent actually taken the headliner down but in the passanger side fender well I'm pretty sure I've located the harness for it.

This is my 2000. Factory installed console. Note the outline of the console on the roof material. Measure from the spot where the roof material meets the windshield glass. I don't know if all are predrilled. 1997 - 2001's are different than 96 and before. You should make sure and get the wire harness from the donor. It goes from the console to the fusebox in the passenger footwell.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
The harness that was there was only for the dome lamp and the Remote Keyless Entry. I got a harness with the console on Ebay. The main connector didn't fit my existing connector, but I was able to disassemble the new one and reassemble to the old one without any splicing. It also made it easier to fish it down the A piller to get to the junction box.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Excellent shot by the way, full of all the info I need and very sharp. This forum ROCKS!
Thanks a million.
Off to the garage...

There are 2 screws that hold the rear bracket to the ceiling. They are partial obscured by the tape measure. The bracket is directional, make sure the 'hooks' are further towards the rear of the vehicle. (see above pic) If installed backward it won't grab ahold of the ears of the console when pushed onto the bracket.

btw, welcome to the forum! :D That isn't my wirning harness you got there is it? I just got rid of it on an ebay trade, sort of kinda thing. :laugh3:

Last edited:
I did buy it from you on Ebay just about a month ago. My Classic is a 2000, what year do you think the harness came out of?

If the harness just had one plug on it (other than the small 3 wire) that didn't match up with your 2000, it was a 99 harness. If it had 2 plugs that you had to combine the wires into your single 2000 plug, it came from a 98. If it has been over a month and your still working on getting the wiring figured out, it came from a 97. :D

I've sold several of these in the last month so I'm not sure which one you got.

I have a couple of different years of wiring harness connectors laying around that I thought about tearing apart and converting the harness over to the proper year XJ but I've alway worried about getting the connector back together in one piece (if at all). How difficult was it? Got pics?
Was this the auction that you got the separate 2000 connector also with the main harness?

edit>>>
Here's pics of the different types of connector for the overhead console harnesses.
top is 97, next down is 98, then 99 and at the bottom is the 00 thru 01. The 00-01 are the only years that shared the same wiring connector. The wiring colors and wire count are the same on all except for the 97 which has two extra wires. (note the connector for 00-01 on the bottom doesn't have the correct wire count as it is a harness for keyless entry only but has the same connecter as the overhead)

wiringharness97_98_99and00thru01.jpg

Last edited:
My original bracket was riveted, and different from the bracket I got from Tim. I drilled out the two rivets of the original bracket and installed the two new ones with screws. Tim those pictures worked great.
Tom

I don't have pix, and it wasn't that hard. On top of the white connector is zig zag looking lock that slides down into the connector. Use a knife blade to pop the lock up and off . The individual wires can now be disconnected from the connector by sliding a very small flat tip screw driver into the front slot of each wire, holding up the locking tab while pulling on the wire out in the opposite direction. This allowed all 9 wires to be installed into the correct connector on my XJ.
btw, It didn't take a month to figure it out, I've been out of town.

lol. Just kidding about the month long thing, although I did use a 98 harness in my 97 and it did take me quite a bit of time to figure it out. The tough part was the two extra wires. The plugs and wires are all the same at the console side but mysteriously you get two extra on the other end only in the 97. I had to unravel the entire harness and trace everything before I got in worked out... about a month later. :laugh3:

Back