• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

x terrians. are they any good

Ive got a set of 31s. They are all around a very good tire, if you dont mind the noise. Ive had mine for about 20 thousand miles now and are wearing great. they are LOUD though.

Okie's a heretic :p. I like 'em. Hell, I like Okie, too. Super swampers were louder, so, its all relative. Haven't played in the mud, so don't have a clue on that aspect, but on slick rock, I do like 'em. Pro comp's 'deal' of 'giving' you the 4th tire free, is kinda iffy, they boost the price of the 3 and offset the 4th 'free' a bit. Worth waiting to get a deal on 'em, if you do go that route. Do a search, there's gotta be a zillion threads on tires. I've had 'em in 33's and now the 35's and seem to wear decently. Not wonderfully, but at the price, they could send a guy out to air 'em up and down for ya, on the trail, you'd think... :laugh3:

i went from bfg mt's to the Xterrain and the amount of noise is the same.

The sound isnt any differnt that any other offroad tire.. I ran the 31 Xs when I had a smaller lift and got 35s with the bigger lift.. I love them, havent had an issue with them, they grip really good in all conditions, when I hit the trails or mud I turn the direction of the tread around for even more grip.. Had them on for close to 30,000 and Im at half tread... They are expensive when you go to a 35+ but going bigger, the better the material and thickness gets..

i dont have them but a friend i wheel with has the 33" variety.. they are ok.. wasnt impressed with them in the mud, my friends trxus did better in the mud than the x-terrains...

and they are noisy.. more noise than mtr's or Trxus

Only mere observations, but I've watched the same guy on the same set of 33" X terrains get up Slickrock at Tellico, then later that year nail Rockpile on Pritchett Canyon (1st attempt) at Moab.

Experienced driver? Yes. Luck? Maybe.

Anyways, I wouldn't buy a set, but I wouldn't automatically disown someone who did.

Aren't they directional :dunno: I think it would suck if you didn't carry 2 spares, 1 mounted in each direction, & needed 1.

Rob

just wondering what youu have heard or saw. i bought a set of 33's to go on my 89,xj with a rusty's 4 1/2 kit and yes they are loud but the noise does not bother me. i did the buy 3 get one free. i have not had a chance yet to wheel with them so i will find out here soon how they do

i have 33" Xterrain's but next to my buddy's 33" bfg mt's, they look like 31's.:dunno:
xjparts001.jpg

i was going to say they look small, i have 32" procomp m/t. when i picked them up at the place they were stacked on the 33" Xterrain's. i asked the guy how much and he was like the 33"s are $$$ more and they aren't really worth it.

i was like those are 33"s then what did i get.

They are directional. It won't hurt the tire if it runs backwards. Traction might be off a bit but you will be fine. Only 1 spare would be needed.

FELIX said:
Aren't they directional :dunno: I think it would suck if you didn't carry 2 spares, 1 mounted in each direction, & needed 1.

Rob

I have been running the same set of 35's for almost 4 years, stil almost 1/2 tread. The only problem that I have had is in deep mud or clay (LOTS of that in east ky) the x's don't clean well, so you have to use quite a bit of throttle. Otherwise they have been doing about as well as all the other brands out here. But, like any directional tire, they are not happy about backing up in mud. They have been wearing great, and my jeep is my wrecker in the junkyard that I work in, so they get tested constantly. And, yes the jeep goes home everyday, too. (about 100 miles round trip).

I had a set of 33's on my TJ and LOVED THEM!!!! They are AWESOME on rocks (for an All / X Terrain) and ok but not great in the mud. They are a very strong tire too.

Here is my thought about tire noise.
YOU ARE DRIVING A LIFTED 4X4. ANY TIRE you run will make more noise then any street tire. You just have to deal with it. I now have a set of 31" ProComp Muds on my XJ and they are noisey but I deal with it. If you don't want a loud tire, don't lift your Jeep and make room for bigger, louder tires and stick with a mild all-terrains.

Sorry folks - not trying to offend anyone. Just my .02

I have heard both ways about the Xterrians. All i know is I have them on a project MJ, and they load up with mud and stuff in my driveway. I am running their AT's on my trail/DD, and they do pretty good for an AT off road. The only problem with themis they run a lil small on the size. My 33's barely measure 32.

Patrick

Back