• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB coax routing

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to do the install of a cb in my 01 XJ, i have a Wilson 4ft FGT fiberglass antenna, Midland cb,Aj antenna mount and a rock lizard visor mount for the cb.Any suggestions or tips on running the coax through the head liner ? Thanks

Last edited:
bowhunter said:
I'm getting ready to do the install of a cb in my 01 XJ, i have a Wilson 4ft FGT fiberglass antenna, Midland cb,Aj antenna mount and a rock lizard visor mount for the cb.Any suggestions or tips on running the coax through the head liner ? Thanks

The AJ mount... I'm assuming that's this one, right?

Seriously, it'd be easier all around to run it through the interior panels. Just tuck the coax in under the leading edge of the roofliner (pull gently and you'll get enough clearance), then run it down the A-pillar and back to the rear fender via the grommet in the hatch opening.

run the cb down through the roof if your cb is up high, but watch the proximity to the fuel pump on the left. The best bet is to go along the roof liner than down the left A pillar like said before. 18 ft of cable is the perfect length.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
The best bet is to go along the roof liner than down the left A pillar like said before.

OK, I'll bite... Why this route over the A-pillar? Not trying to start an argument here, just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
18 ft of cable is the perfect length.

Only if 18 ft is the shortest you can make your coax run. The best run is shortest, within reason,due to loss factor. I have heard this urban legend before, and as a Amateur Radio operator I have some experience. The important thing is to tune your antenna once it and the CB are installed, and for your connections to be good, including the ground plane, which, of course, has to be metal. If you are really concerned about coax, buy the best quality. Either RG8/U Foam, or Belden 9913.

Check out http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/coax_basics.html

Last edited:
Yep thats the mount i was referring to as long as we are on the subject i have beldon coax ready to me in either 12 or 18 foot searced seems to be a big issue over the correct length tarakian thanks for the link but i couldnt get it too work.

i was referring to the way i routed mine and 18 ft is the right physical length... but if shorter is better and shorter doesnt reach the mount then its obviously not going to work. just go high quality sheilded and you will be fine. none of us really need a ~ 1 on the swr, my 1.8 does the job fine

I ran mine in through the tailight hole, under the panels along the floor, under the back seat, under the door sill plate, up beind the kick panel, and up[ behind the a-pillar plastic. I believe mine was 18 feet. Th only place you can see it is where it comes out of the a-pillar, above the sunvisors, to the CB, mounted between the visors. eventually i may run under the headliner from the a-pillar to the CB. But, my jeeps not pretty, so i wasent to worries about it.

Thanks Tarakian that time link worked great i will check it out.

Tarakian said:
Only if 18 ft is the shortest you can make your coax run. The best run is shortest, within reason,due to loss factor. I have heard this urban legend before, and as a Amateur Radio operator I have some experience. The important thing is to tune your antenna once it and the CB are installed, and for your connections to be good, including the ground plane, which, of course, has to be metal. If you are really concerned about coax, buy the best quality. Either RG8/U Foam, or Belden 9913.

Check out http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/coax_basics.html

Loss in 18 ft of coax is negligible at 27 MHz when compared to other issues affecting ERP, even with crappy coax.

Coax specs on loss and velocity factors are based on 100'.

The shortest coax is not nessesarily the best transmission line, at under microwave frequencies.

Ever wonder why Wilson and Firestick use/recommend 18, 21 or 23 feet in length?

Ever hear of Za and Zo to describe characteristic impedance?

Nothing worse than a radiating coax.

I've seen 2 people now that bragged about their 1:1 match, and have had completely non operational antenna systems, couldn't hear them 2 vehicles away.

Times Microwave Systems LMR400UF rocks.

http://www.cablexperts.com/

--de K0IOA/6 /M /MM (ron)

Back