• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Alloy shafts in a YJ hi-pinion 30??

MossMan

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to put Yukon alloys in the front of the wife's XJ (Locked up XJ's old rig) last night and hit a snag. This is a hi-pinion D30 from a YJ, not sure which year. It obviously doesn't have the vac. assembly. But just inside of where the vac. assembly was there is a splined peiced in the axle tube. I'm not sure what it was for. It wasn't on my YJ D30. Mine just had the inner axle seal. Whatever it is, it's too small for the shaft to fit through. It looks like it's part of the housing. Anybody know if this comes out? If not I guess I'll have to grind it down to it's big enough

?????

You have a YJ axle in an XJ? How did you install it? The YJ axles don't have any mounts for the control arms. And as far as I know, ALL YJ axles had the disconnect.

Are you certain you have a YJ axle?

Not sure if I'm following the question, but if you have a YJ axle, the passenger side has a 2 piece shaft, the outer section has like 14 splines, and the inner part which is larger, on the vacuum disconect, has 27 spline at the carrier end. you have to remove the C clip, and the vacuum disconnect on top to remove the inner shaft. Then a XJ or TJ, non disco shaft should fit right in IIRC.

The vac. disc. is long gone. It has had one piece shafts since before I ever had it. The problem is there is a bushing in there for the intermediate shaft to ride on. The stock one piece shaft fits right throught the Yukon alloys are much bigger, therefore won't go through the whole.

I've found out that it is just a plastic bushing and to bust it out of there. I report back on how it goes :lecture:

That is because the Yukon shafts are actually D44 shafts necked down at the splines for the dana 30. Not sure if you can pull that splined piece, been along time since I had my YJ with the vac. disco.....

jrsxj98 said:
That is because the Yukon shafts are actually D44 shafts necked down at the splines for the dana 30. Not sure if you can pull that splined piece, been along time since I had my YJ with the vac. disco.....

That's exactly right. And a buddy of mine just put the same shafts in his YJ and said the piece will just bust right out.

I recently helped Phil go from a two-peice shaft to a one peice shaft in his disco 30 and we found that splined ring also. We tapped it out and discarded. IIRC it was made of plastic.

EricsXJ said:
I recently helped Phil go from a two-peice shaft to a one peice shaft in his disco 30 and we found that splined ring also. We tapped it out and discarded. IIRC it was made of plastic.

I was thinking it came out but couldnt remember for sure.

you arent talking about the oil seal on that side are you? i know the oil seal on the long side is down in the tube to provide lubrication for the disco... this is good to know since i will be doing this exact conversion myself soon..

No, the stock seal was in the tube just to the right of the shift motor housing heading towards the passenger wheel, and the ring we are talking about is in the tube just to the left of the housing towards the diff.

We installed Warn's kit which is just the block off plate and two seals. You must install the seal that is right where the tube meets the diff. The other seal I feel isn't as important since it is outwards from the shift motor housing. There shouldn't be any oil in there if the inner seal is working as it should. We attempted to install the "optional" seal anyway and had trouble getting it all the way in, but got it secure enough to work.

When I did the conversion on my MJ, the inner seal was leaking, and I didnt feel like pulling the hogs head out. So I used a D44 seal in the Vacum part. It has been in there 5 months now, and no problems yet.

Patrick

Not to hijack the thread, but where did you get the Yukon upgrade shafts and how much did they cost?

Back