• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker T-case Drop Linkage Issues

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Skyjacker T-Case Drop Kit (#TCL31) in my '97 XJ with a NP231 today and everything went smoothly until I had to mount the bracket that relocates the linkages for the Transfer case. It bolted up fine and 2wd and 4Hi work great. However when I try to shift into Neutral or 4Lo, one of the arms/brackets rotates and binds on the stock bolt location (see picture below). I tried to pry/bend it out of the way, but that didn't seem to help any. Anyone else have this problem? Fixes? Suggestions?

Here's a picture showing my problem:
SkyjackerBracket.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

I had the same issue when I installed a Skyjacker kit on a buddies TJ. I called Skyjacker and (go figure) they sell a different relocation bracket. The rep. I talked to said they'd had that problem alot.

hoytinak said:
I had the same issue when I installed a Skyjacker kit on a buddies TJ. I called Skyjacker and (go figure) they sell a different relocation bracket. The rep. I talked to said they'd had that problem alot.

Did they send it to you? Or did you have to buy the second/new bracket? Will it work for XJs or just TJs? The reason I bought the Skyjacker kit was that relocation bracket.

Thanks,
Bill

Yeah my buddy had to buy to new bracket from them. I love my Skyjacker kit on my XJ, but after that deal with his TJ, I don't think i'll get anything else from them.

hoytinak said:
Yeah my buddy had to buy to new bracket from them. I love my Skyjacker kit on my XJ, but after that deal with his TJ, I don't think i'll get anything else from them.

Did you use their T-case drop kit? Did you have problems with the bracket or just with the TJ?

no i didn't use the TC drop, mine on my XJ is only 3".....didn't need it

hoytinak said:
no i didn't use the TC drop, mine on my XJ is only 3".....didn't need it
My '97 XJ has a custom 2.75" inch lift and I had vibes. The t-case drop took care of them. I'm going to call Skyjacker right now and ask.

Thanks,
Bill

I just got off the phone with Skyjacker. The guy wasn't very helpful and was actually somewhat rude, I was suprised at the bad customer service. Here's how it went; quote:

Skyjacker Rep: Thank you for calling Skyjacker, how can I help you?
Me: Hi, I just purchased and installed a transfer case drop in my '97 Jeep Cherokee and when I try and shift it back past 4Hi I have binding issues with the stock mouning bolts.
Skyjacker Rep: Did you try removing the stock bolts?
Me: That's what holds your bracket in place.
Skyjacker Rep: Oh, right, well we just bend the bracket out of the way, we do it all the time. Any moron with a larger screwdriver can bend it out of the way? [Yes, he said 'moron' I was shocked as well]
Me: If I bend your bracket out of the way, I'm not sure what it will do considering it is binding on the stock bolts, not lower on your bracket.
Skyjacker Rep: Then just bend the linkage. Have a good day. Thank you for calling Skyjacker. *hangs up

That was the entire less than a minute conversaton I had with the rep. I'm not very pleased with Skyjacker and I probably will not be buying anything else from them every again. I'm just glad the only thing I ordered was a T-case drop and not an entire lift kit. I'm going to head home after work and see if I can bend the bracket (not Skyjacker's, I don't know what that would accomplish) that is binding out of the way. Unless someone has a different suggestion?

Back