• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14" Zirgo Electric Fan Conversion

QKRTHNU

NAXJA Forum User
After seaching though the forums for a while it seems like it's quite par for the course to see an XJ running a bit hot.

My temp gauge had been holding @ 210 thoughout the winter. Now that it's warming up though it's been creeping up higher when sitting still. I just bought a new Radiator since I have no idea how old the existing one was as I just bought my 95' XJ this winter. I purchased a fan from Autozone. It was one of the Flex fans. Not sure what the deal with that thing is, but even though I have the correct part # it's way too big. I can't close the hood! :-0

Since the thing sounds like a jet engine, and I can't close the hood I decided it might not be the best option. Searching the forum and reading of broken fins re-inforced that idea.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have decided to just go the Electric route.

I read about the guy with the dual 12" (1600cfm x 2 ) Zirgo fans. And looks like several people have used the 16" 3300cfm as well.

I'm thinking about going with the 14" 2600cfm model. And then if it's not doing the job adding an auxilliary 9" 1500cfm. (My XJ doesn't have a stock aux fan).

Anyone else tried the 14" Zirgo fan? If so, how did it work out for you?

If no one has used it, do you think I should even bother trying the 14" alone, or should I get an auxilliary right away?

Thanks.

detail
Three Perma Cool 10" high performance fans. They're supposed to pull 1250cfm each. Had this setup for a couple months now and no problems yet.

Sorry. I still can't figure out how to post a pic. New to this.

I would fit a factory 93 plus fan ( 10 curved blades ) along with it straight away. You never be able to just sit in traffic on a hot summers day without it. Would be fine while moving though.

I used my stock fan shroud and mounted the 16" Zirgo onto it and it fit under the hood just fine...I just have to fab up a piece of sheet metal to block the top off so air passes through the radiator and not over it.

BTW:
I am still using the AUX fan as well!

When my engine gets to 220 they come on and the temp drops like a stone back to 190! I am going to spend the money on a different temp sensor though because I want to control my "on time" for the 16"er at 210 instead of 220. If for some reason the temp should reach 220 the AUX will still kick on and there will be no problems!

JC95

PS:

My install write-up is on go-jeeps website; will have better "finished" pics up soon, sorry for not getin them yet.

As a side note, 220 seems kind of high. Do these motors like to run @ 210-220F?

I was thinking about doing the main fan @ 195-200 and then setting the secondary @ 210 or so.

Back