• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended Trail Spares

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
What trail spares do you recommend for running the Sierra trails like Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, Swamp lake, etc.

I’m running 33’s with a d30/ locked d44, stock axle shafts front and rear, and stock steering components, except for the RE adj TB w/ the heim end.

I carry the usual assortment of tools, fluids, recovery gear, etc.

I want to start assembling parts/components that may be needed to get me home some day.

I carry complete spare shafts for the front hp30. They are a quick change if they are complete with hubs ect. If you have the disco axle, that is another story. Also spare drive shafts, or at least a couple of spare u-joints. As you have probably learned, you will break whatever you didn't bring with you.

Well, after this past weekend, I'd also say u-joints and spare axle shafts.

Also, spare nuts and bolts. Every time I replace a bolt on the Jeep, I save them because a lot of same bolts are used in different places.

carry a doughnut spare - the full size tire takes up too much room...

i carry a spare water pump for the 4.0L - used it twice on my rig and once on a buddy's....

fuses?
random grab bag of bolts and nuts

-track bar and centering bar set
-spare 30 shafts w/unit bearings
-cheap alternator
-dvshaft ujoints
-home-made brake line rep. kit/spare lines
-upper control arm if yours are stock.
-couple of 2.75" or so u-bolts

So, of everyone who's replied, who has run the Sierra trails like Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, Swamp lake, etc?

Jes said:
So, of everyone who's replied, who has run the Sierra trails like Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, Swamp lake, etc?

con + Fordyce + most all of the A-Tree area -

though - i spotted the con, didnt bring my rig...:mad:

Jes said:

I've run the Rubicon several times over the past 4 years on the internet :laugh2: and would have to agree with what has been listed so far.

Of course, I am from Colorado.

Kevin

BrettM said:

its where the PCT (pacific Crest Trail) hits...

fawk...

cant remember the name of it...

right out side of Johnsville - near Graeagle...

Deer lake, packer lake area...

Holley lake (at that Boy Scout camp) is where we set up headquarters every year for our week long trip...

Jes said:

Fordyce, Rubicon, Dusy, and some Bald Mountain trails (can't remember the names), several times.

Jes said:
Gold Lakes Basin?
Beutiful area up there.

thats the one...

so you guys that carry spare shafts around, do you just cruise junkyards and pull 'em out or do you have older projects you rob from....

where i live, we drive 2-3 hours on the freeway, wheel the trails, then drive home or camp out and drive home.

i suppose you guys out west have several hours to the nearest source of help if you break something?

but, yeah, even on a light ride, i get this thought "what if I pop a u-joint or shaft out here"

sounds like some good advice

i'd really like to see a "trail repair and recovery" forum also, but I don't know if enough people agree...

I don't think I've got the "board cred." to pull that one off. :D

Maybe one of the old-timers here.

Back to the topic at hand...

Should spare axle shafts for the D44 be acquired?

I've got a line on a pair and wonder if they should make it into the spare parts bin?

i carry spare bake lines after breaking one
u joints

Back