• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best 3" lift for <$500 with leaf springs?

ndangrd

NAXJA Forum User
since i need new leaf springs & tires, want a lift, & am on a budget, what is a good 3" lift kit that INCLUDES leaf springs for less than $500?

it is a daily driver but will be used on trails for hunting...nothing too hardcore. i just want more ground clearance & want to be able to put 31" tires on it. i'm hoping i don't have to do the SYE, so if i can get away without doing it, that's what i'd like.

i know many people on here & jeepforum.com recommend RE, but their 3.5" kit will be too much with leaf springs & it sounds like their 3.5" kit gives you more than that so you'll need to do the SYE (please correct me if i'm wrong!).

some cheaper kits i've seen are: Black Diamond, Pro Comp, Rough Country, etc.

does anyone know how much a BDS 3" kit is? can't find a price for that one...

thanx!

eric
99 Cherokee Classic - Flame Red Clear Coat, 4.0L I6, AW4, Selec- Trac, Up Country Suspension Group, Skid Plate Group, Trailer Tow Group, ABS, & every other available Classic options except block heater. Optima Yellow-Top, K&N Filter, Sylvania Silverstars, CATZ XLD Driving/Fog Lights, "Trail Rated" Badge

03 New Beetle Turbo S - Uni Red, 1.8T, 6spd.

Last edited:
ndangrd said:
since i need new leaf springs & tires, want a lift, & am on a budget, what is a good 3" lift kit that INCLUDES leaf springs for less than $500?

none!

custom make one...

it is a daily driver but will be used on trails for hunting...nothing too hardcore. i just want more ground clearance & want to be able to put 31" tires on it. i'm hoping i don't have to do the SYE, so if i can get away without doing it, that's what i'd like.
with a 99? good luck - you might be lucky, but budget for one...

i know many people on here & jeepforum.com recommend RE, but their 3.5" kit will be too much with leaf springs & it sounds like their 3.5" kit gives you more than that so you'll need to do the SYE (please correct me if i'm wrong!).
correct...
some cheaper kits i've seen are: Black Diamond, Pro Comp, Rough Country, etc.
does anyone know how much a BDS 3" kit is? can't find a price for that one...

well - you get what you pay for. Lift height will all be the same, but driveline angles, fitment, instalation, and ride quality will all be efected by each lift differently...

lift that!

99 with Up Country Suspension Group, Skid Plate Group

The Up Country has about a 1" lift, you should be able to fit 30" tires on this just fine and squeeze a matching spare in the stock location. With full skids I wouldn't worry about ground clearance running hunting trails.

I've got 2 stock XJs, and one with a 3" lift and 31's. And with the 31's I extended brake lines and bump stops, relocated the spare, and still have a few other tweaks to do. Mine is a 91 so I got away without a SYE but with your 99, you should budget for it. You already have a fine riding, very capable rig. IMHO, a "cheap" bolt on lift will not improve upon it.

Ask, "Best improvement for under $500 on this rig, this application?" - I doubt you will hear 3" lift. . . Probably rock sliders, disconnects, and recovery gear. . .

XJ_ranger said:
lift that!

know of a good lift kit for the turbo s?!

it needs to be lowered if anything...

eric
99 Cherokee Classic - Flame Red Clear Coat, 4.0L I6, AW4, Selec- Trac, Up Country Suspension Group, Skid Plate Group, Trailer Tow Group, ABS, & every other available Classic options except block heater. Optima Yellow-Top, K&N Filter, Sylvania Silverstars, CATZ XLD Driving/Fog Lights, "Trail Rated" Badge

3XJFamily said:
The Up Country has about a 1" lift, you should be able to fit 30" tires on this just fine and squeeze a matching spare in the stock location. With full skids I wouldn't worry about ground clearance running hunting trails.

I've got 2 stock XJs, and one with a 3" lift and 31's. And with the 31's I extended brake lines and bump stops, relocated the spare, and still have a few other tweaks to do. Mine is a 91 so I got away without a SYE but with your 99, you should budget for it. You already have a fine riding, very capable rig. IMHO, a "cheap" bolt on lift will not improve upon it.

Ask, "Best improvement for under $500 on this rig, this application?" - I doubt you will hear 3" lift. . . Probably rock sliders, disconnects, and recovery gear. . .

good points...you are probably right, i should budget for the SYE. i'm still in need of new leaf springs though & would like new shocks...the factory replacements are priced way to high, so that's why i thought it would be easier to just get the lift kit & get it over with. do you think 30's & some spacers would be safe enough for now assuming i bought the other new parts (leafs & shocks)?

i'm buying a surco roof rack from summit so i can mount the spare & jack on top...need more interior room...

eric

jeepguy97 said:
Are your leafs sagging? If so just add some extra leafs from a junkyard pack.

i have the Up Country package & i measured from the center of the wheel to the flares...the rear was ~16.5" & the front was ~18.5". i think it is supposed to be about 17.5"...

if i decide not to put a lift kit with leaf springs in, then i'll probably just buy some new shocks, coil spring spacers, & something for the rear (AAL, blocks, shackles???) so i can safely put new 30's on. what would work best for the rear in maintaining a good ride? if i do all this, should i drop the transfer case too?

then, i'll save up for a good lift kit with a SYE later...

eric

On my '92 I found that after lifting over 3" the UJ on the slip yoke was binding with the axle dropped, so I fitted the slip yoke from a TJ, which gives twice as much flex. It fits straight onto the stock driveshaft but you need to machine the part that slides into the T/case oil seal about 3/4" further up the casting on the slip yoke as this part is shorter for the TJ. The whole thing works great and will pull 100mph with no vibration.

IF you have the UC then I would put a BB spacer on the front, and add a stock rear leaf to your rear pack along with a longer shackle or small block.

That is REAL cheap and if you are only looking to run 31's on "hunting trails" the UC/BB combo would probably work well for you and be the best thing for your wallet too. You also might get away without an SYE.

so, if i go the budget boost route, what shocks what make a good factory upgrade?

i would like to take of the rancho "buy 3, get 1 free" deal & also get a new steering stabilizer...

eric

jeepforum.com pointed me to rusty's kit, but it sounds like i'd have to do the SYE & i don't have the money to do that right now.

does anyone know how much cheaper rusty's kit would be w/o the shocks?

I have a 2001 XJ with the BDS 3 inch lift vibes were very small did a t-case drop(i know its a temp fix) fits 31 with out a problem i use my rig to hunt with as well as some mild trail stuff with the family as far as a price BDS will not allow it dealers to publish it but heres where i got my lift http://www.jdsoffroad.com/ very good to deal with you can get prices through your email just look up the lift and follow the steps.Or you can email BDS for a dealer near you .
http://www.bds-suspension.com/

Go for it and have fun

Back