• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling the Hydraulic Lifters?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
In my 85 XJ 4 cyl I suspect a collapsed lifter to be the source of a small knock. I pulled the rods and can see the lifters in the block though the top.

I purchased (rented) a 'lifter puller' tool from AutoZone (looks like this: http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS13750.html ), it is supposed to go into the lifter and then expand, allowing you to then pull the lifter up and out. It goes in and expands, but doesn't grab anything. I've tried for hours to get the tool to work, and also tried using a magnet on a stick as the manual suggests, but am unable to extract even one lifter.

I can see tha tthe lefter are turnign when I expand the tool and am able to lift a lifter about 1/2" with just a stick prying on it, so they are not 'stuck' very much.

What's the secret to pulling these?
What am I doing wrong?

I know you won't want to hear this but, You need to pull the head. Thats the only way I know to get them out.

Not according to my 94 FSM, Rich! The 6cyl does require head removal, but the 4cyl doesn't. It references a tool (D/C C-4129-A) to remove the lifter with the head in place.

Yeah, they come out with the head in place on the 2.5L When I pulled mine (for the same reason you're doing it BTW), about half of them were really tight and I was a bit worried about pulling them too hard. I poured a bit of oil down on top of each of the "stuck" ones and spun them a bit with the tool locked into them, then pulled with steady pressure...kinda like uncorking a wine bottle :)
Good luck!
Jeff

They all spin and move easy, I just changed the oil twice on this thing so its good and lubed. Is it possible I have the wrong tool?
It doesn't seem to 'grab' anything to pull on when it looks like its inserted into the lifter. My FSM says I dont have to pull the head and it looks like it should work wihtout trouble if I had a better tool.

Did you guys use that same tool? I saw pics of a different one online also.

You're having a hard time because the foot at the bottom of the lifter gets a little mushroomed out by the cam over time, so the lifter's OD at the bottom is larger than higher up the part. Keep after it, you'll get it.

Missed the 2.5 part :laugh3:

Jeff in VA said:
Yeah, they come out with the head in place on the 2.5L When I pulled mine (for the same reason you're doing it BTW), about half of them were really tight and I was a bit worried about pulling them too hard. I poured a bit of oil down on top of each of the "stuck" ones and spun them a bit with the tool locked into them, then pulled with steady pressure...kinda like uncorking a wine bottle :)
Good luck!
Jeff

Was it a collapsed lifter or something else causing your knock?
Just wondering.

It never seems to fully 'lock' into the lifter. after a few turns they both start spinning together; never fully 'locking/expanding' the tool into the lifter for removal.

If they still won't come out, the next part bites, because you get to pull the cam, and knock them out through the block and then pull the pan. Beenthere, Donethat.

No, mine's a timing chain issue which I haven't gotten to fixing yet :laugh3:
But, a few of the lifters were clogged, and I cleaned the entire valvetrain (rockers, pivots, pushrods, lifters) so it wasn't all for naught.
Tried finding a pic of the puller I used but can't. IIRC, I got it from Advance Auto. Skinny long rod w/ a T handle, and the end that grabs the lifter spreads out when you push down on the top of it and grabs under the clips in the top of the lifter (wish I could find a pic, hard to describe). Couple tips for ya when you do get yours out
*put everything back in its original location
*use the puller, attached to the lifter, to reinstall them in their bores

Don't just drop the lifters down thru the head and expect them to magically pop back where they're supposed to go. They won't, and will fall over and roll around the gallery, and you'll have to fish them back up....don't ask me how I know this....not fun!
Jeff

I'm not familiar with that particular lifter tool and the pic isn't good enough to see how it expands. The one I have (if I can find it) has two or three "feet" that expand out and hook into the snap ring groove of the lifter. Fairly positive engagement. Usually works pretyy well.

Your lifters may be somewhat peened on the bottom, plus there is probably a small ridge of crud in the tops of the bores where the lifter movement stops. You may be able to reach down with a narrow screwdriver and scrape around the tops of the lifter bores to be sure they are clean.

Back