• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 not shifting (need REAL answer)

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, its not the TPS. 1988 cherokee limited 4.0 aw4. ever since i replaced my transfer case (without dissconnecting the neg. batt. terminal) the aw4 wont shift out of second. I can disconnect tcu and shift it manualy just fine. i have tested all the sensors and the only one thats off is the NSS. it cant be adjusted to the rear enough to get accurate readings to the TCU. It will start in park (shifter) position but not neutral position. If i move the shifter a little forward of park the NSS aligns correctly and it starts.
I took the NSS off and put it in the D position then connected the TCU back up. it still didnt shift out of 2nd. I need to know how to get the NSS aligned even though it cant be adjusted back any further.
Also what the install procedure is for a junkyard tcu cause i tryed just plugging one in and it didnt do anything.

This one could be over my head at 2 am... I had an 87 limited, got it wet, and it wouldn't shift, till i hit 4700 rpm, then it would slam it. Now that turned out to be the tps. What happens if you do run it towards the redline? Also, I am not sure if the mss has to do with the shifting sequence. Mine was off, and it still shifted ok. Have you checked all your tranny linkage? Maybe something coulda twisted when the transfer came out. Sorry I can't be more help, but I just got done studying for my physics exam and am kinda brain dead. :speepin:

running it toward redline just stays in 2nd. i readjusted all the linkages (kickdown cable, both calbles on the shift bezel, transfer case linkage). appreciate the help!

when was the last fluid flush and fill?

I think you are missing power to the transmission computer. I the computer misses power it stays in the gear in which it was. From startup it starts in second if it is missing power. I could also be the computer is faulty.

Torfinn

I agree on the no power to the TCM. Somewhere on the web is a very good trouble shooting guide on electronic problems with the AW4. He has pinouts of the TCM and also as I recall there's a resister in the wire going to the power pin that can be bad. Sorr I can't find the link just now but time does not permit.

JoBo

There is an output speed sensor on the left side, near the rear of the tranny... white connector... little hard to find...it may be disconnected.

yes, checked all fuses including inline 10 on the yellow wire. TCU has power... is there any reason why a used junkyard TCU would not work if i just got it and plugged it in

Maybe I missed this, but here goes.
Does it shift into or out of any gear?
I had an issue with a modification, on a 96, that blew the fuse, 10 amp, in the underhood fuse block. I could manually shift through the gears like a stick without the clutch.
Hopefully this helps.

I suspect its your NSS. Can you shift from 2nd to 3rd and 4th (D)? If your NSS is not sending signals it could behave like a bad TCU. That is why your replacement didn't make any difference.

central, i don't see any reason for a new tcu not working, as long as it's for the i-6 aw4. just make sure that if you have that comfort/sport switch, it does too.
out of curiosity, did you disconnect any grounds? they can be a simple yet bitch of an answer to a lot of problems. took my physics exam earlier today and i am starting to gain knowledge again lol gl

Well, I can't think of what it might be, BUT I do know that often times an electronically controlled transmission will default itself to second gear and stay there. I can't remember what has to be wrong, but when I find out I'll post it.

Back