• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with rigidco bumper install

jpfreak

NAXJA Member #1208
Help! I was trying to install my RigidCo bumper with a friend, it required us to re-route the tranny lines through a hole in the bulkhead reinforcement plate. How do you get these lines off? One has a hose clamp, that seems easy enough, but I don't know about the other one. They are also hard bent lines rather than flexible hose. I'm not sure what to do...

See attached picture...

trannylines2.jpg

The one higher in the pic has a quick disconnect on it that is probably packed with road grime. Stick the needle of a WD-40 can in the QD and spray the crap out of it. The QD ears squeeze together and stay connected to the female end of the hose while the male hardline slides out.

It can be reconnected, but while it's apart make sure the inside is clean and that the o-ring isn't torn.

heya JPfreak let me know how it goes if you don't mind, I've got one on the way!

(just subrcribed to the thread)

This is not typical. These lines are not normally running through that hole. They must have been disconnected previously and accidentally routed that way. You may want to re-route the lines inside of the crossmember once you get them disconnected. I am trying to remember my Rigid bumper, I don't think there are holes in their crossmember for anything to pass through in that spot.

HTH's
A.

Someone has added a trans cooler and routed those lines through there. I would reroute them. That fitting is a quick connect. You need a fuel line quick disconnect tool (about $4 at IdiotZone) that will slide into the fitting and release the hose.

Okay, so that is for a trans cooler? I was worried that it might have been part of the A/C system.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to try again later this week or maybe this weekend.

jpfreak said:
Help! I was trying to install my RigidCo bumper with a friend, it required us to re-route the tranny lines through a hole in the bulkhead reinforcement plate. How do you get these lines off? One has a hose clamp, that seems easy enough, but I don't know about the other one. They are also hard bent lines rather than flexible hose. I'm not sure what to do...

See attached picture...

trannylines2.jpg

Ok I just put a rigid on my 96.Has a factory trans cooler in the same spot as yours.The tool you need to disconnect that line is mentioned above.Would have been nice for rigid to mention that.I ended up having to move that cooler to the right and then drill two new holes in the bulkhead plate to fit the metal elbows through thus weakening that plate.Also I found in two of the winch mount bulkhead bolts, the two upper ones, theres absolutely no room for washers, definately not good..Also on the two side holes on each side theres no room for washers.The instructions say put washers on, you left no room for em Terry!Also the sides of the bulkhead plate the bumper attaches to were WAY to wide and had to be seriousy bent with a sledge hammer to get the bumper to fit.More than a quarter inch on each side!Also ordered mine with powder coating that came with seriously ugly lines impregnated from cardboard corrugation as if the paint haden't cured before it was packed.The final crux to my install
is before my rig tended to pull to the right, after installing this bumper and banging and tweaking to get everything to fit it now pulls to the left.I'm totally bafled as to why.I'm pissed

P.S. In the rigid photos on their site the wings extend back and just kiss the flares.The new design these side wings are much shorter.I contacted terry and he said it was no problem to add the length back on to mine custom.Three conversations to verify that these were going to be lengthend had me very confident they were coming to me that way.Nope they didn't.Another dissapointment.

cloudswimmer said:
Ok I just put a rigid on my 96.Has a factory trans cooler in the same spot as yours.The tool you need to disconnect that line is mentioned above.Would have been nice for rigid to mention that.I ended up having to move that cooler to the right and then drill two new holes in the bulkhead plate to fit the metal elbows through thus weakening that plate.Also I found in two of the winch mount bulkhead bolts, the two upper ones, theres absolutely no room for washers, definately not good..Also on the two side holes on each side theres no room for washers.The instructions say put washers on, you left no room for em Terry!Also the sides of the bulkhead plate the bumper attaches to were WAY to wide and had to be seriousy bent with a sledge hammer to get the bumper to fit.More than a quarter inch on each side!Also ordered mine with powder coating that came with seriously ugly lines impregnated from cardboard corrugation as if the paint haden't cured before it was packed.The final crux to my install
is before my rig tended to pull to the right, after installing this bumper and banging and tweaking to get everything to fit it now pulls to the left.I'm totally bafled as to why.I'm pissed

P.S. In the rigid photos on their site the wings extend back and just kiss the flares.The new design these side wings are much shorter.I contacted terry and he said it was no problem to add the length back on to mine custom.Three conversations to verify that these were going to be lengthend had me very confident they were coming to me that way.Nope they didn't.Another dissapointment.

Well I had a few issues with my rigidco front bumper, but Terry came through for me big time. He really took care of me. Nice guy, but the bumpers are made by hand, one at a time so everything is a little bit off. I guess you get what you pay for. Good price for a nice looking bumper.

my rigidco bumper installed without any problems on my 2000 xj.. just oges to tell ya every xj is unique and special! :wave:

i got mine raw so i painted it.. happy i did since its always getting hit by rocks/ scratched my trees and stuff

I had no problems with my install on my 97' Oil cooler lines ran on the inside of the Factory bulkhead, all washers and bolts fit in very nicely, the bulk head plate and bumper match was tight, but I didn't have to bang anything around.
so far I am pleased.

The instructions do mention the Oil cooler holes in the bulk head plate and to re-route if needed, but they dont talk about how to disconnect the lines. That could be added..

My Rigid went on my '99 without a problem. Since some have subscribed and are installing later, here's a trick for the horn relocation.

Swap the horns to the opposite sides and mount the bracket on back side of the fender support - I positioned mine with the horn openings down so mud and water would drain out.

Rigid2.jpg

edit: If you cut the fender support out like I did, leave the top cross bracket intact, there's a hole in it you can use.

Okay, I installed it this weekend (just got back). The bumper itself is a great looking unit and I feel that I made a good decision. There was a manufacturing defect (the front is cut unevently, not a big deal to me but I will point it out to Terry so he can keep it in mind). The powdercoating is pretty weak, it was scraping off by the time I got it (UPS and Fedex).

I didn't have any problems, except that the directions are so detailed that I had a tendency to get lost (especially with all the spare or temporary hardware).

Back