• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" swap driveshaft issue

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
hey,

so i finaly leveled out my jeep today and found that leveling out my lift caused some u-joint bind in my stock output yoke...

(a lift of custom franken packs cosisting of some 2.5" lift pacs from somewhere and some YJ 4" lift packs netted me 7" total... - not too shabby)

shocking - really...

so my deal is that i am swaping a 9" into the rear end (or shoving it in there, for Lawn Cher's humor)
the problem with my intended SYE plan is going to a double cardan shaft with the offset pinion of the ford 9" rear end...

the pinion is offset about 2.5" from center (where the d35 is offset about 5/8" from center)
according to proper geometry - an offset pinion would kill a double cardan shaft u-joints real quick - so my thoughts:
Option 1: (the right way?)
buy the PORC HD SYE and a single cardan shaft - use some Driveshaft yoke u-bolts.

Option 2: (the cheaper way)
Use a YJ output, a T-case drop, and get er done... keeping the stock shaft... the increased clearance of the YJ yoke would be benificial to my u-joint angle...
the pinion and t-case output are straight - so proper alignment would be achieved...

i worry about the increased length of the ford 9" pinion making angles EVEN WORSE, but I am determined!

any thoughts?

-Super Newb

Go the SYE route...

8.8 axles have a 2-3/16" offset and how many guys run them with SYE's and no vibes?

I would think that if was an issue...

The naysayers would've come out of the woodwork by now...

SYE and double cardan. as mentioned TONS of people run that with no complaints with 8.8s which are offset, many of those people are doing it in YJs with even greater angles.

also, I have found that u-joints aren't nearly as sensitive to angle as people make it seem, as long as they are new joints. used joints self destruct quickly when you change the angle, but I have several friends (including myself) whose driveshaft and pinion angles are 10+ degrees off from "right" and no vibes.

ok - so im working on getting a PORC SYE (either that or an AA unit from DC4wd for the same 170 shipped)

I know that my front shaft is 28.5" stuffed and 31.5" extended - that is with the 4.0L and the AX-15

anyone know the lengths of the front DS with:
4.0L, AW4, 231
2.5L, ax-5, 231

going to take some measurements tonight and see what i can do...

Gil - i know that your running a Bronco rear DS - how is(was) that one set up?

Double Cardan end? or single cardan?
got any length specs?

any thoughts / help appriciated...

XJ_ranger said:
Gil - i know that your running a Bronco rear DS - how is(was) that one set up?

Double Cardan end? or single cardan?
got any length specs?

any thoughts / help appriciated...

It's a double cardan at the SYE with a Slip yoke at the axle end of course...

it's running 1330 U-joints...

Length?

Dunno... but I'll try to get some measurements for ya...

I gotta tell ya tho...

It was a custom shaft built for a full size Bronco that a customer never picked up...

How close in dimension it is to a STOCK Bronco shaft...

I don't know...

It might be custom built to OEM specs...

Sorry to be so vague...

Back