• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32x11.5's on 15x7's

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
i know i should prob get an 8 inch rim but money is kinda tight. So is it possible to safely run an 11.5 inch wide tire on a 7 inch wide wheel.Would i have to worry about it coming off the bead when im off road. Any replies would be cool. Thanks

scott

I dont know what the differece in price between the two usually is, but i know it can't be much more than a few bucks per wheel if you are buying the cheapest ones. spend the extra 50 bucks to get 15x8s

depends on the quality of the wheel. I had 33x12.5s on OEM 7" steel wheels and had constant bead leak problems. A buddy had the same tires on 7" aluminum wheels and never had an issue.

If you do it make sure the installer uses lots of the "bead sealer" goo on them.
Actually it's a good idea for any tire/rim combo. The stuff pretty much glues the tire to the rim.

A wider wheel will actually make it easier for the tire to come off the bead when aired down. I ran this combo on stock Sport wheels for 3 years with 0 problems, back spacing and rubbing are the things you really need to look at. I ran billet wheel adapters that gave me less BS (5.25 stock BS-1.25" adapter = 4" BS), if you run stock BS'ed wheels, you will get rub on the LCA's when turning tight.

shouldnt have a problem, ive ran 35 12.50s on 15 x7s on my cj, and have ran 33x12.50s and now 33x13.50s on 15x7s. havent had much time on the 13.50s though. mine werent stock and had the right backspacing.

kolby

That's what I've got...

32 x 11.50 on 15x7 AR767s with 4" backspacing.

if stock you might ahve a problem rubbing the leave springs, otherwise it will work best

I just mounted a set of 31"x11"x15" Super Swamper Thornbirds on a set of factory steel spokes and they HIT on the leaf springs in the rear. Just a word of caution if you happen to ever try it with stockers. Also....just FYI...the Thornbirds actually measure about 2" to 3" wider because of the actual width from the outside of the outermost lug to the outside of the outermost lug on the other side of the tire. The 11" tires measured right at 13".

Aron

11.50" tire on a 7" wheel aint no different than a 12.50 tire on an 8" wheel. If you've already got the 7" wheels, great. If you're still looking to purchase, go with the 8" and pick your offset.

ok cool, i have some aluminum 15x7's i think the bs on them is 4.25. And i am getting these tires for free so i figure i will run them if at all possible. Thanks for the replies.

scott

When I was running 32x11.5's on 15x8 AR767's I had beads coming off all the time when I aired down. I think 15x7's are better for wheeling that tire width, but will crown the tire with street use. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't... what's your priority.

lankchevy said:
and now 33x13.50s on 15x7s. havent had much time on the 13.50s though. mine werent stock and had the right backspacing.

kolby

this is what i was planning on running, except on an 8" rim with 3.75 backspacing. will i see anyproblems, mainly concerned with ruining sidewalls from airing down all the time.
thanks.

scottsxj said:
sorry to bring this thread back, but will running wider tires on narrower rims make the tires wear faster or unevenly. Thanks

scott

Not necessarily, but correct inflation pressure is more critical. To get the tread sitting flat draw a chalk line across the tread, drive a few feet, and see if all the chalk rubs off. If chalk is left on the shoulders drop the pressure, if it is left in the center then increase the pressure. You want the highest pressure that lets all of the tread contact the road.

Got a set of street tires... BFG A/T 32x11.50 mounted on Ford Turbines... these are 15x6-1/2 with a 4" backspacing. Works fine!

Tread wear is even... tire is tight on the bead... I've wheeled a couple times, airin down hasn't been a problem...

xjbling2.jpg

jeepkid2000 said:
this is what i was planning on running, except on an 8" rim with 3.75 backspacing. will i see anyproblems, mainly concerned with ruining sidewalls from airing down all the time.
thanks.

no u shouldnt have any problems at all, since my last post in the thread tho ive went to 35 12x50 radial baja claws on 15x8s with 4" backspacing. even with the 8.8(narrower than a d35) i havent had any rubbing issues on my rear leaves at all or anywhere else.

kolby

Back